Fort Delaware Glass Negative Collection - The U.S. Corps of Engineers photographed construction work at Fort Delaware, Fort DuPont, and Fort Mott, New Jersey, before and during the Spanish-American War, 1898-1900. Many of the photos document construction inside Fort Delaware, while others show construction of gun batteries, emplacements, and earthworks at each fort.
Project Delaware - This collection consists of 1420 aerial view color slides documenting the state in 1970, especially the coastline and state boundaries. Other major subjects include the Christina River from its source to the Delaware River, Cherry Island, Wilmington Marine Terminal, Fort Delaware, Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, Artificial Island, lighthouses, Getty Refinery, Appoquinimink River, Mispillion River, Broadkill River, Lewes and Rehoboth Canal, Indian River, Cypress Swamp, Nanticoke River, and the northern arc boundary. Cities and towns represented include Claymont, Wilmington, Newport, New Castle, Deemers Beach, Delaware City, St. Georges, Chesapeake City, Port Penn, Augustine Beach, Middletown, Odessa, Smyrna, Dover, Woodland Beach, Bowers Beach, Milford, Slaughter Beach, Milton, Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Oak Orchard, Millsboro, Bethany Beach, Fenwick Island, Selbyville, Georgetown, Delmar, Laurel, Seaford, Marydel, and Newark.
State Board of Agriculture - The complete Glass Negative Collection of the Board of Agriculture consists of 2,017 images that were shot in the 1920s and 1930s. During this time period, many photographers were moving from glass negatives to film. However the best quality photographs still came from glass negatives. We present the work of Roydon L. Hammond for the Board of Agriculture.
Woodside Glass Negative Collection - This collection contains seventeen glass negatives of the Woodside, Delaware area. Subjects include the train station, a steam train at the station, street scenes, Woodside Methodist Church and the Elizabeth Jarrell store, boating on Derby Pond, baptisms at Derby Pond, women gathering water lilies, a tomato canning factory and a view of the Viola train station.
Board of Education Photograph Collection - Following World War I, Pierre S. du Pont donated $2.9 million dollars to aid in building new schools in Delaware as part of a larger initiative to reform the education system. This collection of more than 3000 photos primarily captures images of school building exteriors, documenting old and often dilapidated schools and the new construction that replaced them. Also found among these images are rare photos of school events, student organizations and parades.
The George and Irene Caley Postcard Collection - George Luther Caley was a well-known genealogist, author, local historian and an avid postcard collector. When George passed away in 2005, the future of his life's work was uncertain. Irene Caley generously donated George's collection of Delaware and Delmarva postcards to The Delaware Public Archives to ensure public access to the images and for long-term preservation.
The Meyer Keilson Collection - Meyer Keilson was an architect who specialized in stage and motion picture theater design. He took these photos during his travels in Delaware. The ninety-two prints depict street scenes, historic and public buildings, houses, transportation, and historic markers throughout Delaware.
Frank R. Zebley Collection, Churches of Delaware Photograph Collection - The Churches of Delaware Photograph Collection has exterior and interior views of over nine hundred churches in Delaware. Taken by Frank R. Zebley for his book Churches of Delaware during the 1930s and 1940s, most of the photos found here do not appear in the book.
Insurance Evaluation Report - This collection consists of a comprehensive list of state owned buildings created to serve as a guide in determining the amount of insurance to be carried. The collection shows the name and photograph of the building, location, brief description of the type of building and composition, total cubic feet, and estimated value of the building in 1941.