Capital School District was created in 1969 after the consolidation of several districts in the area. Made up of 12 schools, the district covers 125 square-miles and serves the majority of Dover, Cheswold, Hartly, Little Creek, Marydel, and most of Leipsic. This collection includes two documents donated by a former superintendent of Capital School District. One is a 1914 “Report of the Proceedings of Annual Stated Meeting of School Voters” for school districts 18, 60, 90, 91, 92, and 101. This report notes details such as officers elected, school expenditures, assets, teacher salaries, and school statistics. The second document in this collection is a statement titled, “A Brief Statement of the Transition from the Old Colored Schools of Dover to the New Colored Schools.” This statement describes the events and ceremonies that took place on the day of the move from the schools on Slaughter Street and Division Street to the new DuPont school, Booker T. Washington. It also reports the number of students from each school, the grades in each, and the names of the teachers.
Related Topics: Capital School District, school