The Delaware Public Archives operates the Historical Markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact the Delaware Public Archives at (302) 744-5000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Delaware Historical Marker Program began in 1931 when the General Assembly of Delaware passed an act establishing a permanent commission to erect historical markers throughout the state. The markers in each county were numbered sequentially as they were proposed, preceded by NC (New Castle), K (Kent), and S (Sussex) to note the county in which they were located. Since the beginning of the program in the 1930s, the State of Delaware has erected more than 660 markers. The Delaware Public Archives has administered the Historical Markers Program since 1990.
Community members and the state legislature have always played active roles in the Historical Markers Program. Today, every new state historical marker is the result of partnerships between the Delaware Public Archives, state legislators, and local community members. Funding for each marker comes as a result of a direct request to members of the General Assembly from interested individuals and organizations. As a result, the markers represent Delawareans’ shared history and become a source of pride for local communities.
|Marker Number||Marker Name||Marker Category||City/Town|