Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "National Register of Historic Places"

Fells Mill Historic District

NCC-233: Constructed in 1749, the area is home to one of the earliest mill sites on the Red Clay Creek. A three-story flour mill once served as the center of activity on the site, and was the location of Oliver Evans’ first automated flour mill operation. In 1790 his mill was the third invention patented […]

Newark Union Church and Cemetery

NCC-255: Newark Union Church was built in 1845 near the site of a 1704 poplar log Quaker meetinghouse and burial ground. The church was originally a one-room, two-story fieldstone structure built by Lewis Zebley and John Sharpley for $800. Renovations in 1906 transformed the building into a late Gothic Revival style church with stuccoed exterior […]

Crooked Billet

NCC-247: In 1684, William Penn deeded this property to Adam Stedham, who built a small two-room stone house on the land. Stedham’s son, William, expanded the house into the Crooked Billet Tavern in 1702. George Washington and his troops stopped at the tavern on September 9, 1777, before facing the British at the Battle of […]

Cox-Phillips-Mitchell Agricultural Complex

In 1726, William and Catherine Cox built a Flemish bond brick house named “Ocasson” on 350 acres of land acquired from Letitia Penn. William Phillips and his heirs owned the farm from 1766-1830 and added a bank barn by 1770. From 1830-1856 Quaker farmer and abolitionist Jacob Heald owned the property. Farmer and businessman John […]

Henry Clay Village

Henry Clay Village formed near the textile mills north of Wilmington in the early 1800s. As domestic textile production declined following the War of 1812, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company absorbed failing mills into its powder-making operations. Workers from Ireland, France, Italy, and elsewhere joined Delawareans in seeking opportunities in the powder yards […]

Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House

NCC-90: Believed to be one of the smallest Quaker Meeting Houses in the nation, the Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House was built in 1785 by David Wilson and presented to the Friends as a gift. Local tradition identifies this structure as a stop on the Underground Railroad during the years preceding the Civil War. While enroute […]

Encampment of Continental Troops 1777

NCC-007: On December 21, 1777, Delaware and Maryland regiments consisting of 1,500 men under command of General William Smallwood, upon order of General George Washington, encamped in this vicinity to prevent occupation by the British forces and to protect American interests. General Smallwood would remain here several months. Installed in 1932. Reinstalled in 2023 Sponsors: […]

Octagonal School House

Rooted in the Free School Act of 1829, the Octagonal Schoolhouse, built in 1836, served as the District No. 12 school in Kent County until its closure in 1930, when it became a community center. The building’s construction consisted of undressed stone, stuccoed and whitewashed, with eight sides of equal dimension and a pyramidal shingled […]

Sailor’s Bethel Methodist Church

The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1809, when a house of worship was constructed to serve the needs of the many residents of this area who were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. First known as Elzey Moore’s Meeting House, the name of the church was formally changed to Wesley Chapel in […]

Blackwater Presbyterian Church

Sponsors: The Honorable Shirley Price, Delaware House of Representatives, 2004 SC-190: In the 17th century, the colony of Maryland was founded as a refuge for Catholics and members of other religious faiths then subject to persecution. Many of the early settlers of this region, then a part of Maryland, were Presbyterians who had been denied […]