page header image

photo of marker


Newark Union Church was built in 1845 near the site of a 1704 poplar log Quaker meetinghouse and burial ground. The church was originally a one-room, two-story fieldstone structure built by Lewis Zebley and John Sharpley for $800. Renovations in 1906 transformed the building into a late Gothic Revival style church with stuccoed exterior and lancet windows. Valentine Hollingsworth donated land for the cemetery in 1687. It contains over 900 burials, including veterans dating back to the Revolutionary War, and unmarked graves from Quaker settlements. Newark Union Church and Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2020.

Installed in 2020.

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr

Resources Related to Wilmington:

Click to view resources about the town

Find a Grave:

find a grave


8 Newark Union Public Rd Wilmington 19803

Links to more resources: