Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "National Register of Historic Places"

Georgetown Fire Company

Responsible for establishing aids for the navigation of our nation’s waterways, the United States government initiated the use of manned lightships or “floating lighthouses” in 1820. These vessels addressed many needs. They could be placed in locations where deep water or shifting shoals made fixed structures impractical or impossible, and they could be moved and […]

Maull House

This house is believed to have been built by Samuel Paynter, a carpenter who purchased this property in 1737. Following its completion, the house and surrounding land were sold in 1741 to Luke Shields, a prominent bay and river pilot. The close proximity of the bay and safe harbor of nearby Lewes Creek made this […]

Carey’s Camp

By the late eighteenth century a Methodist Society had been organized in this area. In 1888, two years after the construction of Carey’s Church, the first official Carey’s Camp Meeting was held in the grove adjoining the church. These first meetings, known as bush or basket meetings, were held under temporary shelters made of boughs […]

Old Christ Church

SC-63: Established on Broad Creek in 1770 as a “Chapel of Ease” of Stepney Parish, Maryland on land purchased by a levy of 80,000 pounds of tobacco. Building completed by Robert Holston in 1772 at a cost of £510. Installed in 1938. Sponsor: Public Archives Commission, 1938 Marker Photo Gallery: Resources Related to Laurel: Find […]

Byrd’s African Methodist Episcopal Church

In the early 1890s, Clayton was home to an increasing population of African-Americans, many of whom were railroad workers. Byrd’s African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was built in 1894 to accommodate this growing community who previously had to walk several miles to Mount Friendship Church for services. The land was purchased from Willis C. Dickerson […]

Parson Thorne Mansion (Silver Hill)

Sponsors: The Honorable F. Gary Simpson, Delaware State Senate, 2005 KC-92: This historic building lies within a 1,750 acre Duke of York land patent called Saw Mill Range granted to Henry Bowman in 1680. The first known resident of this portion of the tract was Joseph Booth, who purchased 510 acres from the Bowman family […]


In 1680 Alexander Humphreys received a warrant from the county court for 600 acres of land which he called Brecknock. The tract is believed to have been named for a shire of Wales. A milling operation was established here in the 1740’s. For nearly two centuries local farmers brought their grain to this place, known […]

Rodney Square

NCC-226: Rodney Square, named for Caesar Rodney, has been the symbolic center of Wilmington since the early 20th century. The area served as a reservoir from 1827 to 1877, and as the site of the New Castle County Courthouse from 1877 to 1919. Pierre S. du Pont envisioned a landscape adjacent to the DuPont headquarters […]

Rockland Mill Village

NCC-224: The site of the Rockland Mill Village is one of the earliest and longest-functioning mill seats on the Brandywine. Grist milling commenced c.1724 and was replaced by a fulling and cotton mill c.1733. Paper was the primary product of the mill beginning in 1849 and the mill produced rag paper, fine book paper and […]

Poplar Hall

NCC-203: James Boulden the Elder and his family moved to Delaware from Maryland in the mid-18th century, amassing wealth and expanding their land ownership in Pencader Hundred as the century progressed. The two-story brick mansion house was built during this time period and is a strong representation of Gregorian architecture. A service wing erected between […]