header image

Photo of Marker


Believed to be one of the smallest Quaker Meeting Houses in the nation, the Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House was built in 1785 by David Wilson and presented to the Friends as a gift. Local tradition identifies this structure as a stop on the Underground Railroad during the years preceding the Civil War. While enroute to destinations north of Delaware, runaway slaves would hide in the loft of the church in order to escape capture. Prominent local Quakers who served as agents on the Railroad included John Alston and John Hunn. The Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House was placed on the national Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Installed in 1993.

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr
Click to learn more about this town


624 Main Street, Odessa, DE 19730


Links to more resources: