header image

photo of marker


On December 21, 1777, Delaware and Maryland regiments consisting of 1,500 men under command of General William Smallwood, upon order of General George Washington, encamped in this vicinity to prevent occupation by the British forces and to protect American interests. General Smallwood would remain here several months.

Installed in 1932. Reinstalled in 2023


Historic Markers Commission, 1932

The State of Delaware Historical Markers Program, 2023

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr
Click to learn more about this town


Hancock Street & Lovering Avenue, Wilmington, DE 19801

Links to more resources: