header image

photo of marker


Constructed in 1749, the area is home to one of the earliest mill sites on the Red Clay Creek. A three-story flour mill once served as the center of activity on the site, and was the location of Oliver Evans’ first automated flour mill operation. In 1790 his mill was the third invention patented by the newly created U.S. Patent Office. Jonathan Fell purchased the site in 1828 and turned the flour mill into a spice mill which served as the leading spice mill in the nation for fifty years. Eight structures comprise the district, which is bisected by Faulkland Road, including the only known example of a chalet style tenant house in the state.

Installed in 2017.


The Honorable Anthony Delcollo, Delaware State Senate, 2017

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr
Click to learn more about this town


3040 Faulkland Rd Wilmington, DE 19808

Links to more resources: