When planning a trip to the Mabel Lloyd Ridgely Research Room we recommend that you check our website or our social media platforms to ensure we are open.
Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or emailing email@example.com.
Appointments are strongly encouraged.
Benefits to an appointment include:
- an interview with an archivist to pin point exact collections that may assist in your research, a reserved workspace,
- a guarantee for a microfilm reader,
- and most importantly an assurance that any records you want pulled in advanced will be waiting for you upon your arrival to maximize research time.
Visitors may also walk-in without an appointment.
Read more about your visit to the DPA:
- Free parking is available.
- All visitors must check in at the Welcome Center desk to register and/or retrieve their researcher forms.
- Public computers with access to Ancestry® are available. Wireless internet and electrical outlets are available for personal computers.
Note: Delaware Public Archives computers are for research purposes and review of DPA digital collections only. They are not for personal business or email.
- Microfilm reader/printers are available to print copies. Copies from reader/printers are $.50 a page. Copies from DPA computers are $.10 a page.
- Microfilm scanners are available. Researchers may bring a USB flash drive to save scanned microfilm images (no cost).
- To reduce handling of original documents, some records have been imaged and will be provided in that format (microfilm or digital).
Note: If you are interested in viewing an audio-visual record, please contact the Research Room staff as arrangements must be made in advance.
- Some records are restricted by law or by donor. Please contact the Research Room staff in advance to inquire about such records. See Records Availability for more details.
- Smartphones and digital cameras (without a flash) are allowed in the Research Room to photograph records. Please acquire staff permission first.
- Lockers are provided to store your belongings. The lockers are emptied each night; DPA is not responsible for personal belongings left in the lockers.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Consider bringing a sweater or light jacket as the Research Room can be chilly.
We want your visit to the Mabel Lloyd Ridgely Research Room to be pleasant and successful.
Please click here for the complete Rules for the Research Room and Researcher Rules of Conduct.