header image

Photo of Marker

In 1726, William and Catherine Cox built a Flemish bond brick house named “Ocasson” on 350 acres of land acquired from Letitia Penn. William Phillips and his heirs owned the farm from 1766-1830 and added a bank barn by 1770. From 1830-1856 Quaker farmer and abolitionist Jacob Heald owned the property. Farmer and businessman John Mitchell acquired the farm in 1868 and expanded the barn for dairy operations. Mitchell‘s heirs retained ownership of a portion of the farmstead into the 21st century. The property reflects changes in agricultural practices over nearly 300 years. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.

NCC-252: Installed in 2020.

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr
Click to learn more about this town


1655 Old Wilmington Rd Hockessin, DE 19707


Links to more resources: