Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "National Register of Historic Places"

Abbott’s Mill

The origin of Abbott’s Mill can be traced to the fall of 1795 when local carpenter Nathan Willey entered into a contract to purchase land at this location. On April 23, 1802, Willey and several of his neighbors presented a petition to the Court of General Sessions stating that he had “at a large expense […]

Indian Mission Methodist Church

In 1881 the Nanticoke Indian people constructed this church to provide a place to join for religious devotions. Known as “Johnson’s Chapel,” the church was affiliated with the Methodist Protestant denomination. On March 27, 1884, the land upon which the church had been built was conveyed by Jesse E. and Elizabeth Joseph to Trustees Samuel […]

Prince Georges Chapel

SC-118: Before the settlement of the boundary dispute between Delaware and Maryland, this area was considered to lie in Maryland. On July 5, 1755, responding to the request of members of the Church of England residing in the upper portion of Worcester Parish, the Maryland Assembly enacted legislation authorizing the purchase of land and construction […]

Zion African Methodist Episcopal

KC-110: The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1845, when a group of local residents met to formally organize Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church. With several churches established in the area by free African Americans during the mid-19th century, the town of Camden became an important stop on the Underground Railroad. Trustees of […]

Griffith’s Chapel / Williamsville Methodist Church

KC-109: When Methodism first came to this area in the late 18th century, residents worshipped in local homes and journeyed to nearby towns to attend services. On November 20, 1848 William and Sarah Griffith conveyed land at this location to Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church to build “thereon a church or place of worship”. […]

Felton Railroad Station

KC-105: In 1836 the Delaware General Assembly chartered the Delaware Railroad for the purpose of building a line from a junction with the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad to the southern border of the state. Due to poor economic conditions, construction was delayed for many years. The Delaware Railroad eventually reached this area in 1856. […]

Morning Star Institutional Church of God in Christ, Inc.

KC-82: In 1856, the trustees of Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church purchased this site from Thomas Mifflin. The present church was erected thereafter and dedicated on July 26, 1857. Extensive renovations of the structure were undertaken in 1865 and 1940. The building was expanded with the addition of a nine-room educational annex in 1948. The Whatcoat […]

Smyrna Opera House and Town Hall

KC-77: In the spring of 1869, the Commissioners of Smyrna approved a plan to erect a Town Hall. Responding to the long-held desire of the citizens for a venue for public gatherings, architect Richard Mitchell designed the building to include a “hall” on the second floor. Ground was broken on July 15, 1869, and the […]

Camden Friends Meeting (Burial Place of John Hunn)

The first Meeting House on this site was built in 1738. It was replaced in 1748 when a larger building was constructed. The old Meeting House was then converted into a school. Known as Wilmington Friends School, it was relocated to a new facility in 1937, and is the oldest existing school in the state. […]

Loockerman Hall

KC-60: In 1723 Nicholas Loockerman purchased 600 acres of land known as “The Range.” Following his death in 1771, the property passed to his grandson Vincent Loockerman Jr. Evidence suggests that he built the Georgian-style mansion known today as Loockerman Hall soon after inheriting the property. A member of the early Revolutionary-era Committee of Inspection, […]