Attention Researchers: The Welcome Center will be closed on Saturday, July 20th due to air-conditioning issues. More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Delaware History"

Wyoming

RG #6180   1850 – 1899 The Town of Wyoming is located about a mile west of the Town of Camden in an area of rich agricultural land. By the nineteenth century, a community had formed, known as West Camden. In the 1850s, when the Delaware Railroad was plotting the line of its track through […]

Read More


Woodside

RG #6170   The 1800s In 1864, the Cowgill family was instrumental in convincing the Delaware Railroad to build a depot and station to serve the farms in the area south of Wyoming; it was named Willow Grove Station. The Cowgills also lobbied for a post office which initially took the name Fredonia. In 1869, […]

Read More


Little Creek

RG #6120   The 1800s The Town of Little Creek, first called Little Landing, was established where the Little River (earlier called Little Creek) met the public road [currently Route 9]. A draw bridge was built spanning the river as early as 1802.1 The Town was at its height in the nineteenth century when a […]

Read More


Farmington

RG #6035   The 1800s In 1855, Governor William Tharp, a Treasurer of the Delaware Railroad, was instrumental in having a railroad station built near his home to serve the southern Kent County farming community. A town formed here which was initially called Flat Iron, but within ten years, the name was changed to Farmington. […]

Read More


Newark

RG #5070   The 1700s – 1849 Settled in the early eighteenth century, Newark was a thriving market town and a stop for travelers between the Chesapeake Bay and Philadelphia when, in 1758, it received a colonial Charter from King George II. In general, the late eighteen and early nineteenth-century development was typical of other […]

Read More


Townsend

RG #5400   The 1800s Townsend, located in southern New Castle County in an area of fertile agricultural land and dense forests, was originally an isolated crossroads village called Charley Town, with a store and a few houses. In 1856, when the Delaware Railroad line established a station here, it was renamed Townsend, after the […]

Read More


New Castle

RG #5080   The 1600s & 1700s The City of New Castle was claimed by the Swedish, the Dutch and the English at various times during the seventeenth century, but the English would finally prevail and New Castle was part of the territory which was granted to William Penn by King Charles II of England. […]

Read More


Odessa

RG #5200   The early 1800s Located on the Appoqinimink Creek, Cantwell’s Landing was one terminus of a portage road on a route established in the seventeenth century to provide access from the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake Bay. The landing and the nearby village of Cantwell’s Bridge were named for Edmund Cantwell who settled […]

Read More


Celebrating the History of the Delaware Department of Transportation

In 2019, the Delaware Department of Transportation marks 102 years of service to the residents of Delaware and all who travel throughout the First State. On Saturday, April 6, at 10:30 a.m. Jennifer Cohan, Secretary of Delaware Department of Transportation will present a program at the Delaware Public Archives focusing on the history of this […]

Read More


The du Pont Family: A Brief Introduction

The du Pont family has been closely tied to Delaware history from 1802 to the present. But have you ever wondered who they are? How they came to Delaware and ended up running one of the nation’s most prominent chemical companies? On Saturday, January 5, 10:30 a.m., at the Delaware Public Archives, Lucas R. Clawson […]

Read More





+