Attention Researchers: The Welcome Center will be closed on Saturday, July 20th due to air-conditioning issues. More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Delaware History"

Delaware: Then and Now

Change over time is a critical part of examining the history of the First State. One of the ways to research the cultural landscape of Delaware is to compare modern-day images with pictures taken from a different time period. Using photographs from the collections of the Delaware Public Archives, the Lion’s Club of Delaware and […]

Read More


Viola

RG# 6160   In 1856, when the Delaware Railroad established a station stop at the intersection of the road from Canterbury with the road to Willow Grove, there were only a few farmhouses located nearby. The stop was called Canterbury Station, as it was only a mile west of that community. A village began to […]

Read More


Slaughter Beach

RG# 7220   As early as 1700, a community formed where two navigable rivers, the Mispillion River and Cedar Creek, emptied into the Delaware Bay. The Slaughter Beach community, along with its neighbor community just to the north, Cedar Beach, was one of a number of places located on the Delaware Bay which served as […]

Read More


Selbyville

RG# 7210   Shortly after Mason and Dixon carried out the survey that would establish the boundary line between Maryland and Delaware, a community began to develop near the location of a grist mill and sawmill on Sandy Branch at the headwaters of the Bishopsville Prong of the St. Martin’s River. Its name, Selbyville, dates […]

Read More


Ocean View

RG# 7170   The 1800s Around 1800, W.S. Hall opened a store on farmland he owned near White’s Creek, a tributary of the Indian River Bay. A village began to form around the store which served the needs of the nearby farmers and also became home to many watermen. Originally known as Hall’s Store, legend […]

Read More


Newport

RG# 5090   Newport is one of Delaware’s oldest communities. In the 1730s, building lots were laid out along the Old Kings Road from Philadelphia to Baltimore at a place where the road neared the Christiana (Christina) River. The village became a stage stop along the road and before the end of the eighteenth century, […]

Read More


Milton

RG# 7160   In the early eighteenth century, a grist mill, a sawmill, and a cotton mill were established at the head of navigation of the Broadkill River. By the 1760s, a village had been laid out near the mills which in 1807 would change its name from Head of Broadkiln to Milton, after the […]

Read More


Millville

RG# 7165   Located in the southeast quadrant of Sussex County, in an area that once contained a great deal of marsh and swamps, Millville is one of several towns along a ridge of high ground in this part of the state. A sawmill, established near the headwaters of Mill Creek in the late nineteenth […]

Read More


Millsboro

RG# 7160   Late 1700s – 1849 Around 1792 the headwaters of Indian River were dammed at a place called Rock Hole to establish a grist mill and a sawmill on the northeast side of the river. Originally called Rock Hole Mills, the name was changed in 1809 to Millsborough.1 Additional mills were soon established […]

Read More


Milford

RG# 6140   Milford was formed from two communities, one on the north side of the Mispillion Creek and one on the south linked by a bridge over the creek near its headwaters. On the north, the establishment of a town was spurred by the Reverend Sydenham Thorne who had built a dam and established […]

Read More





+