Attention Researchers: The Research Room will be closed on Monday, January 21st in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday. More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Delaware History"

The du Pont Family: A Brief Introduction

The du Pont family has been closely tied to Delaware history from 1802 to the present. But have you ever wondered who they are? How they came to Delaware and ended up running one of the nation’s most prominent chemical companies? On Saturday, January 5, 10:30 a.m., at the Delaware Public Archives, Lucas R. Clawson […]

Read More


Delaware: Then and Now

Change over time is a critical part of examining the history of the First State. One of the ways to research the cultural landscape of Delaware is to compare modern-day images with pictures taken from a different time period. Using photographs from the collections of the Delaware Public Archives, the Lion’s Club of Delaware and […]

Read More


Dover

RG# 6100 In 1683, William Penn first introduced the idea of a town to be called Dover as the court town for Kent County. However, it was not until 1717 that a plot was laid out for streets, squares, and lots. By 1722, a courthouse was built on the square (now known as The Green) […]

Read More


Greenwood

RG# 7110 In 1858, the north-south track of the Delaware Railroad between Harrington and Bridgeville was laid out through the lands of Simeon Pennewell. There was a village a few miles to the east, but Pennewell saw the opportunity that the railroad presented and laid out streets and town lots centered on the railroad tracks. […]

Read More


Frankford

RG# 7090 In 1808, when a country store was opened at the headwaters of Vines Branch, a tributary of the Indian River Bay, it spurred further development in the area and in 1848, a post office was established at this location which was called Frankford Village. By the time that it became a station stop […]

Read More


Fenwick Island

RG# 7080 Fenwick Island is named for Thomas Fenwick who owned the land at the turn of the eighteenth century. It was, at the time, actually an island due to inlets through the narrow strip of barrier land which currently makes up much of the Delaware coastline. These inlets were deep enough that ships could […]

Read More


Ellendale

RG# 7060 Ellendale was laid out in the latter half of the nineteenth century by Dr. John Prettyman, whose wife, according to The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States, was the inspiration for the Town’s name. The Town of Ellendale was first incorporated in 1905. Its town limits formed a parallelogram of […]

Read More


Dewey Beach

RG# 7055 A community called Rehoboth City was shown on an 1868 map at the location where The Town of Dewey Beach now sits. It was plotted as a Town in the early twentieth century, but because it was difficult to reach, extensive development did not take place until after World War II when a […]

Read More


Bridgeville

RG# 7030 Bridgeville, whose settlement dates to the early eighteenth century, is the oldest community in western Sussex County. In 1730, a settlement formed here when a bridge was built over a branch of the Nanticoke called Bridge Branch, a name which the settlement also was known by. In 1810, its name was changed to […]

Read More


Blades

RG#7020 Blades was named for James Blades who, in the latter part of the nineteenth century, purchased the land around the current intersection of Market and High Streets just across the Nanticoke River from Seaford. The Town of Blades was incorporated and its boundaries established in 1915. It was not immediately plotted and recorded although […]

Read More





+