Attention Researchers: The Welcome Center will be closed on Saturday, July 20th due to air-conditioning issues. More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Delaware History"

Middletown

RG# 5060   The name Middletown first appears in a 1678 warrant for land patented to Adam Peterson. Near this tract was the intersection of Augustine Herman’s Bohemia Cart Road and the Upper King’s Road, the post road between Philadelphia and Virginia. This road crossing was midway between navigable waters of the Bohemia River and […]

Read More


Magnolia

RG# 6130   Magnolia is located within a large tract of land which was once owned by the Duke of York and these large land holdings were maintained through most of the first half of the nineteenth century. There were major roads that bisected that land and it was at the intersection of two such […]

Read More


Lewes

RG# 7140   Settled in 1631 by the Dutch, Lewes was the site of Delaware’s first European settlement. In 1681, the land that would become Delaware was part of a land grant by the King of England to the Penn Family. Upon William Penn’s arrival here, he would re-name the southernmost county of what would […]

Read More


Leipsic

RG# 6110   A settlement, known initially as Fast Landing, was formed at the first fast landing in the Leipsic River in the late eighteenth century. It became a shipping center with lumber, grain, oysters, and many agricultural products shipped from its wharves. By 1814, due to its highly successful muskrat pelt industry, it had […]

Read More


Laurel

RG# 7130   Before Mason and Dixon’s survey established the boundary between Delaware and Maryland, the location on the Broad Creek which would become Laurel was claimed by Maryland. In 1789, Barkley Townsend laid out 32 lots at Broad Creek Wading Place, an Indian settlement which had been abandoned, selling them to tradesmen. Ten years […]

Read More


Kenton

RG# 6090   At the intersection of the road from Dover to the upper eastern shore of Maryland with the road leading from Smyrna to the lower eastern shore, a village formed in the late eighteenth century when a man named Phillip Lewis began to lay out town lots. By 1806, the village, which had […]

Read More


Houston

RG# 6080   Houston, a town of less than a half square mile, was named for John W. Houston, a lawyer and politician from Georgetown who was Delaware’s Secretary of State from 1841-1844.   1900 – 1949 The Town was first incorporated in 1913 as “The Commissioners of Houston.” Its corporate boundary was originally a […]

Read More


Henlopen Acres

RG# 7120   W.S. Corkran, an architect and engineer, purchased three tracts of land in Lewes and Rehoboth Hundred and in 1930 deeded the land to a corporation called Henlopen Acres, Inc., whose purpose was to develop a resort residential community and of which he remained a principal. The elliptically-shaped development was bounded by the […]

Read More


Georgetown

RG# 7100   Once the dispute was settled which determined the boundary lines for Sussex County, the citizens of the newly-defined county would soon petition for the county seat to be moved to a more central location. In January 1791, An ACT for removing the Seat of Justice from Lewes to a more central part […]

Read More


Dover

RG# 6100   In 1683, William Penn first introduced the idea of a town to be called Dover as the court town for Kent County. However, it was not until 1717 that a plot was laid out for streets, squares, and lots. By 1722, a courthouse was built on the square (now known as The […]

Read More





+