Richardson Park Methodist Church
“Richardson Park Methodist Church (M.E.) was formally organized and incorporated on Oct. 24, 1907. A church site was purchased on Dec. 9, 1908 from A. K. Taylor. A church was built of concrete blocks. The corner-stone was laid on Sat., Aug. 16, 1908, by the Rev. C. T. Sharpless. Improvements were made in 1911. The […]
St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
“St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized, in the Brandywine Hundred Fire-House on Jan. 11, 1942. On Sun., Mar. 22, 1942, an American flag and a Church flag were presented and unfurled in the meeting place. The church was incorporated on Apr. 12, 1942. The new church site on Duncan Road at Villa Place, Cragmere, […]
Small Manuscript Collections, H. Fletcher Brown Vocational High School
First Independent Church
“The First Independent Church was organized by the Rev. Dr. Harold S. Laird. They held their first meeting on June 21, 1936. The first meeting in their church was held on June 28, 1936. The church was regularly organized on Sept. 16, 1936. It was incorporated on Oct. 26, 1936. They took title to the […]
Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church
Marker Photo Gallery: Info Related to Wilmington, DE: View on Find A Grave: Text Source: 1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, pp. 127-128 Back to The Historic Houses of Worship
First Church of Christ, Scientist
“The First Church of Christ Scientist. This church was organized in 1902-03 at meetings held at 917 Gilpin Ave. During 1904 the meetings were held in the Garrick Theatre. On Nov. 20, 1903, a portion of the present church site at Park Place and Van Buren St. was purchased. The erection of a frame chapel […]
Memorial Day Parade and Soldiers and Sailors Monument
NCC-250: On May 30, 1868, Wilmington residents placed flowers at the graves of Civil War soldiers in response to Gen. John A. Logan’s General Order 11, which called for a national day of remembrance. Honoring the sacrifices of those who died in the Civil War and later wars, May 30 became an annual tradition that […]
Olivet Presbyterian Church
“Olivet Presbyterian Church was the outgrowth of a Sunday School started on Aug. 5, 1849 in a frame building known as Hedgeville School with E. T. Taylor as Superintendent. It was located at the corner of Newport Road and Dock Street, now the southerly side of Maryland Ave., about 320 feet west of Front St., […]
Abraham Shadd Family
Abraham Doras Shadd (1801-1882) was the grandson of Hans and Elizabeth Schad, a Hessian soldier and free Black woman who settled in Delaware in the 1770s. Abraham was a shoemaker and a well-known abolitionist in Wilmington who aided freedom seekers. He also served as President of the National Convention for the Improvement of Free People […]
Now Online: The Wilmington Railway Collection
This newly available collection consists of 82 historical photographs of trolleys and locomotives in the Wilmington area. The majority of the photos are of trolley cars, either on area streets, at the car barn, or at the car garage