Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing email@example.com More Info
On May 30, 1868, Wilmington residents placed flowers at the graves of Civil War soldiers in response to Gen. John A. Logan’s General Order 11, which called for a national day of remembrance. Honoring the sacrifices of those who died in the Civil War and later wars, May 30 became an annual tradition that expanded to include a parade. The Soldiers and Sailors Monument was dedicated as part of the activities in 1871. Architect A.B. Mullett designed the monument using a column from Philadelphia’s Bank of Pennsylvania. Local resident Eli Crozier led fundraising efforts for the structure, which was Wilmington’s first outdoor public monument.
NCC-250: Installed in 2020.
Intersection of Delaware Ave and N. Broom St. Wilmington, DE 19806