Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Wilmington"

Fells Mill Historic District

NCC-233: Constructed in 1749, the area is home to one of the earliest mill sites on the Red Clay Creek. A three-story flour mill once served as the center of activity on the site, and was the location of Oliver Evans’ first automated flour mill operation. In 1790 his mill was the third invention patented […]

Newark Union Church and Cemetery

NCC-255: Newark Union Church was built in 1845 near the site of a 1704 poplar log Quaker meetinghouse and burial ground. The church was originally a one-room, two-story fieldstone structure built by Lewis Zebley and John Sharpley for $800. Renovations in 1906 transformed the building into a late Gothic Revival style church with stuccoed exterior […]

Harvey Barn

NCC-249: The Harvey Farm was purchased in 1922 to become the Village of Ardentown. In 1931, the barn, believed to have been built in the 1890s, was converted into the Robin Hood Theatre, a professional summer theater. Film and stage actors including Barbara Bel Geddes, Will Geer, Jack Klugman, Tony Perkins, and Barbara Rush appeared […]

Holly Oak Methodist Episcopal Church

“Holly Oak Methodist Church (M.E.) On Jan. 2, 1916, a Sunday School was started in the home of Daniel Wilhelm at Holly Oak. Prayer meetings were also held. A house and lot were purchased by Mrs. Josephine L. Campbell and Miss Erna Wilhelm (Mrs. McClure), to be used as a church-house. It was dedicated on […]

Crooked Billet

NCC-247: In 1684, William Penn deeded this property to Adam Stedham, who built a small two-room stone house on the land. Stedham’s son, William, expanded the house into the Crooked Billet Tavern in 1702. George Washington and his troops stopped at the tavern on September 9, 1777, before facing the British at the Battle of […]

St. Helena Roman Catholic Church

“St. Helena R. C. Church, located on Bellefonte Ave. just off the Phila. Pike, was built in 1936. The church was dedicated on Nov. 22, 1936, by Bishop Edmond J. FitzMaurice, assisted by the Rev. John J. Dougherty and other priests. A procession marched around the church as the Bishop blessed the four corners of […]

Wilmington Manor Methodist Church

“Wilmington Manor Methodist Church was founded on June 3, 1945. The first meetings were held in the roller-skating rink. A church site at Du Pont Highway and Roosevelt Boulevard was secured on Feb. 7-23, 1946. Ground was broken for the new church on Sun., Mar. 17, 1946: The ceremonies were in charge of the Rev. […]

Brandywine Village and The Road to Yorktown

NCC-246: On September 4-7, 1781, residents of Brandywine Village watched as thousands of American and French troops marched through their community along the King’s Highway on their way to Yorktown, Virginia. The combined forces, under the commands of Generals Washington and Rochambeau, nearly quadrupled the size of Wilmington while they camped on the outskirts of […]

Greenhill Presbyterian Church

“Greenhill Presbyterian Church is located to the south of the Kennett Pike just beyond the Wilmington city limits. It was organized in the fall of 1844 at the home of Alex. Stephens, by members of the Rockland Presbyterian Church. The first meetings were held in the Brandywine Lyceum which they rented. The church was formally […]

North Baptist Church

“North Baptist Church is located on Lincoln St., near Delaware Ave. Philip McDowell had coopershops located on the present site of the State Armory. He made barrels for the flour millers located on the Brandywine Creek. A small village surrounded these shops and it was called McDowellville. Mr. McDowell built a small chapel on the […]