“The First Church of Christ Scientist. This church was organized in 1902-03 at meetings held at 917 Gilpin Ave. During 1904 the meetings were held in the Garrick Theatre. On Nov. 20, 1903, a portion of the present church site at Park Place and Van Buren St. was purchased. The erection of a frame chapel was © started on Sept. 25, 1904. It was dedicated on Oct. 16, 1904. The members taking part included David W. Masters, William Savery and Louise de L. Radzinski. More land was purchased on June 20, 1908.
The ground was broken for the present church on Mon., Oct. 28, 1912, at 7 A. M. by Norman E. John, chairman of the building committee. The exercises were in charge of G. Harold Pim and Eva B. Rearick, the first and second readers. The frame church was moved to the rear of the lot and was used during the construction of the new church. The first lecture was held, in the new church, on Mar. 20, 1914, with Wm. P. McKenzie and David W. Masters in charge.
The church was dedicated on Dec. 29, 1918, at 11 A. M. The services were in charge of First Reader Joseph H. Mendinhall and Second Reader Mrs. Frances F. Thatcher.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 98 and 99.
Related Topics: church, First Church of Christ Scientist, frank r zebley, Wilmington