Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Cemetery"

Site of Carlisle African Methodist Episcopal Church

KC-132: In 1849, Caper and Leah Carlisle deeded a quarter-acre of land to Meeting House Trustees Jacob Allston, Peter Carlisle, James Collins, Perry Hawkins, and Nathaniel White. The Carlisles and the trustees were part of a free African American community located nearby at Cassons Corner. A wood-framed church was built on this site after 1849 […]

Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church

SC-115: The history of this congregation can be traced to the early days of Methodism in this country. In 1777 a group of area residents gathered at the home of a “Mr. Shockley” to organize a local Methodist “Society.” While visiting in July 1779, Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury noted the rapid growth of the congregation […]

Site of Reynold’s Church

SC-222: On October 14, 1869, a group of local residents gathered for the purpose of organizing and electing trustees for a Methodist Protestant church near Reynolds Mills. The following month, land was obtained to serve as a site for a house of worship. Construction was completed in 1870, but the building was destroyed by fire […]

Prince Georges Chapel

SC-118: Before the settlement of the boundary dispute between Delaware and Maryland, this area was considered to lie in Maryland. On July 5, 1755, responding to the request of members of the Church of England residing in the upper portion of Worcester Parish, the Maryland Assembly enacted legislation authorizing the purchase of land and construction […]

Zion African Methodist Episcopal

KC-110: The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1845, when a group of local residents met to formally organize Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church. With several churches established in the area by free African Americans during the mid-19th century, the town of Camden became an important stop on the Underground Railroad. Trustees of […]

Murderkill / Motherkiln Friends Meeting

KC-090: By 1712, Quakers of the Religious Society of Friends met “at the widow Needham’s at Murderkill Creek,” later establishing as Motherkiln Preparative Meeting. Circa 1760, a meetinghouse was constructed on this site. The structure burned soon thereafter, and for a time the Friends debated locating to a site near Tidbury Creek. A brick meetinghouse […]

Site of Milford’s First Methodist Church

KC-65: The beginning of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in 1777. Early meetings were held in the homes of its members. On December 3, 1787, Joseph Oliver conveyed a lot of ground at this location for the purpose of “building a preaching house or church” for […]

Old Christ Church

SC-63: Established on Broad Creek in 1770 as a “Chapel of Ease” of Stepney Parish, Maryland on land purchased by a levy of 80,000 pounds of tobacco. Building completed by Robert Holston in 1772 at a cost of £510. Installed in 1938. Sponsor: Public Archives Commission, 1938 Marker Photo Gallery: Resources Related to Laurel: Find […]