header image

photo of marker


The beginning of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in 1777. Early meetings were held in the homes of its members. On December 3, 1787, Joseph Oliver conveyed a lot of ground at this location for the purpose of “building a preaching house or church” for the Methodists. A frame chapel was constructed here and completed in 1790. The growth and prosperity of the congregation resulted in the construction of an addition to the church in 1800. Prominent visitors included Methodist pioneers Francis Asbury, Richard Whatcoat, and Freeborn Garrettson. The building continued to serve the congregation until 1842, when a new church was constructed across the street at the northwest corner of Third and North Streets. The old building was then sold and moved. Interments here had commenced in the late 18th century, and following removal of the first church, the site was used exclusively as a burial ground for members. Notable burials include those of Peter F. Causey, Governor of Delaware (1855-1859), and Civil War General Alfred T. A. Torbert.

Installed in 2000.


The Honorable F. Gary Simpson, Delaware Senate, 2000

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr

Info Related to Milford:

Click to learn more about this town
Find a Grave Logo


300 North St. Milford, DE 19963


Links to more resources: