Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

RG# 7130

 

Laurel
RG 9015-028-000: Market St., Laurel

Before Mason and Dixon’s survey established the boundary between Delaware and Maryland, the location on the Broad Creek which would become Laurel was claimed by Maryland. In 1789, Barkley Townsend laid out 32 lots at Broad Creek Wading Place, an Indian settlement which had been abandoned, selling them to tradesmen. Ten years later a village had formed and had been named Laurel for the bushes of that name which grew along the creek banks. Laurel was surrounded by fertile land and many forests so farming and lumbering became important industries and it became a regional trading center, first using the water and after 1859, the railroad, to move local goods to market.

 

The 1800s

In 1827, An ACT for establishing the boundaries of the Town of Laurel and for other purposes therein mentioned called for the election of Commissioners for the Town of Laurel. These Commissioners were to plot the Town and record this with the Sussex County Recorder of Deeds. They were also to mark the streets and to regulate their use; layout footpaths and gutters; regulate the breadth and thickness of party walls; regulate the set-back of houses from the streets; regulate partition fences; remove encroachments into the streets. The Commissioners were empowered to estimate the sum of money needed to carry out the tasks assigned to them and were to assess a portion of this cost equitably among all residents of the Town. A Treasurer, appointed by them, who would have the same duties as the collector of county taxes, was to assist in the monies assessed.1 In 1871, a law was enacted which called for appointing Commissioners to oversee the draining of Cedar Street [current name unknown] near Rasketown [Rossakatum] Branch of the Broad Creek.2 Whether these Commissioners were already serving as Town Commissioners at this time is unknown. In 1875, the Levy Court of Sussex County determined that it would allocate $100 annually to Laurel to assist with the maintenance of streets within the Town.3 An 1881 law indicated that it was lawful for residents to improve the streets and plant shade trees, but they must not hinder the flow of the gutters along the streets.4

In 1883, the Town of Laurel was first incorporated as the “Commissioners of the Town of Laurel.” The Commissioners were instructed to plot the Town with the assistance of a skilled surveyor. The powers of the five Commissioners included regulating the streets, lanes, alleys, and sidewalks of the Town and directing them to be paved or improved; examining chimneys or stove-pipes, or any matter dangerous to the Town, and if judged dangerous, compelling it to be repaired or removed; preventing nuisances in the Town; prohibiting the firing of guns, the making of bonfires, the setting off of fireworks, or any dangerous sport; and preventing or suppressing any noisy assemblages of negroes, boys, or other persons within the Town. The Commissioners, who served a one-year term, met four times yearly and were to elect one of their members to serve as President as well as a Town Clerk to record the proceedings. The Commissioners were to appoint Assessors, who were responsible for assessing all male residents a poll tax of $1 as well as assessing all real and personal property. The maximum annual tax for the Town was not to exceed $500. Other Town officials, appointed by the Commissioners were the Tax Collector and the Treasurer, as well as the Alderman and Constables who were charged with keeping the peace.5

The 1883 Incorporating Act was amended several times. The first amendment was in 1891 when the regulations were changed for how vacancies among the Commissioners would be handled, and publication of the expenditures of the Commissioners was required. There was also an increase in the annual allocation from the Levy Court of Sussex County for road maintenance from $200 to $500 and in the maximum annual taxation from $500 to $1,000.6 Two years later, the maximum annual tax to be levied was decreased to $750.7 In 1899, the Commissioners were authorized, after referendum approval, to provide pure water for domestic use and suppression of fires as well as to provide for its distribution and for a sewer system. To accomplish this, the Town of Laurel borrowed $20,000. The Commissioners were to apply the fees charged for water service to repay the interest on the bonds issued and were to establish and fund a sinking fund to repay the bonds.8 Two years later, the Commissioners were authorized to borrow $25,000 with which to redeem the $20,000 in bonds issued in 1899 and to use the additional monies secured by these bonds to pay for the property purchased for the water plant. No referendum was required.9

 

1900 – 1949

In 1901, the Town was re-incorporated as the “Town of Laurel.” As in the 1883 Incorporating Act, the Commissioners were to plot the limits of the Town. The 1901 Act made changes in the structure of the government. The Act indicated that the Board of Commissioners was now composed of the Alderman and five Commissioners, all of whom were publicly elected. The elected officials were required to be resident freeholders of the Town and were to serve staggered two-year terms. The Board of Commissioners were now to meet monthly to transact the business of the Town and were to receive $1 in compensation for each meeting. As in the 1883 Act, they were to elect a member to serve as President of the Board. Although the Act provided for the Alderman to be a member of the Board of Commissioners, they did not vote on its actions, but acted independently and functioned as a Justice of the Peace, executing all laws enacted by the Town’s Commissioners. Other Town officials were appointed and included a Secretary, Treasurer, Collector of Taxes, Assessor, and Constables. The 1901 Incorporating Act contained a much-expanded discussion of all of the powers of the Town and described in greater detail the specifics on how they were to be carried out. The maximum amount which could be levied in taxes annually was $1,500 which includes both poll tax, assessable personal and real property taxes. Machinery in a manufactory was exempted from taxation, but their real property was not. The Town was also to be provided with $600 annually by the Levy Court of Sussex County for maintenance of roads.10

Over the six years between the 1901 re-incorporation and that in 1907, several laws were passed which amended the 1901 Act. The first was in 1903 when it was determined that streets which had been open for twenty years or more could not be vacated. There were also two laws passed that year which authorized the Town of Laurel to borrow money. The first law authorized $4,000 to be borrowed to extend the sewer system; the second law authorized another $4,000 for purchasing equipment to establish an additional water pumping station and extending the water mains. No referendum approval was required by either law.11 In 1905, Laurel was again authorized to borrow $4,000, and used these funds to survey and plot streets as well as extend water, sewer, and lighting in the village of Brooklyn located on the north side of the Broad Creek in Broad Creek Hundred. However, the village had evidently not yet approved by referendum the re-incorporation of Laurel and no action to extend services such as water and sewer was to be taken until the village had voted to approve.12

In 1907, the Town of Laurel was re-incorporated a second time; this time as the “Mayor and Council of Laurel.” In the 1907 Incorporating Act, the limits of the Town were listed and included only lands on the south side of the Laurel River. It also provided for the annexation of contiguous land if three-quarters of the affected freeholders were in favor of such annexation. The Act provided for the Town to be divided into three wards, each of which was described. The legislative power was vested in a Council made up of three members each of which would be a freeholder residing in and elected biennially by the residents of one of the wards. The Council members were to choose a member to serve as President to preside over their meetings each month. Legislative actions by the Council were to be made by ordinance the members of which received a salary of $12. In addition to the Town Council, the residents of the Town also elected a Mayor or chief executive to serve a two-year term. His duties and responsibilities were outlined in the Act. All ordinances passed by the Council were to be submitted to the Mayor for approval, after which they would become law. Those disapproved were returned for reconsideration. Other Town officials, appointed by the Mayor included the Town Clerk, Assessor, Alderman, Water Commissioner, Chief of Police, Board of Health, Chief of the Fire Department, Harbormaster, and Town Solicitor. Clergymen were not allowed to hold public office while also carrying out their ministerial duties. The Act provided the Town with thirty specific powers. Among these were the power to receive bequests; to erect and maintain public buildings; to appropriate money for the sick and infirm; to establish and maintain public parks; to construct and maintain public sewers; to condemn private property for municipal purposes; to lay out streets and sewers within one mile of the Town; to enforce certain regulations regarding construction and placement of buildings; to provide water and protect it from contamination; to provide for lighting the streets  and other public places; to regulate wharfs and docks in the Laurel River (Broad Creek);  to grant franchises to businesses that might impact publicly-held property; to license auctions, shows and exhibitions; to license businesses; to regulate the storage of gun powder and other combustible materials; to enforce sanitary regulations, abating and removing nuisances to public health; to regulate the burial of the dead; to license dogs; to require the registration of real estate; to assess property; to require every able-bodied male between ages 21 and 65 who has resided in the Town for five months to work on the streets for two days every year; to borrow money for municipal purposes to not exceed 8% of the assessed value of the Town’s real property, issuing bonds and establishing a sinking fund; to tax all telegraph and telephone poles; and to impose a business tax on saloons, restaurants, pool rooms, peddlers, teamsters, livery stables, fire and insurance agents, and all places of entertainment. The Mayor and Council also had the power to regulate and maintain the streets and alleys and sidewalks and to require residents to pave them. Yearly, an amount was set as the maximum annual tax; this was not to exceed $3,000. The Town also received $600 annually from the Levy Court of Sussex County to assist in maintaining the streets.13

Also in 1907, a law allowed Laurel to float debt not to exceed $1,000 to be repaid within two years from anticipated taxation.14 Four years later, in 1911, the maximum tax to be levied was increased to $4,000 annually.15 Two years after this, the structure of the government was changed. The number of Council members was increased to five, one from each of the wards and two elected at large, all to serve two-year terms. The boundaries of the wards were also adjusted so as to be more equal in population.16

In 1915, those who lived on the north side of the Laurel River (Broad Creek) which included the village of Brooklyn decided to incorporate as the “Commissioners of North Laurel.” They were to elect three Commissioners to serve one-year terms with a President chosen from among them. Other appointed Town officials included an Alderman, a Treasurer, a Clerk, an Assessor, a Tax Collector, and a Constable. The Commission was to meet four times yearly at which time they would pass ordinances for the good of the government of the Town. As stated in the 1915 Act, the Commissioners had only limited powers which included lighting and improving the streets (assisted annually by an allocation of $2,000 from the Levy Court of Sussex County); paving the sidewalks; planting and protecting ornamental trees, and establishing or repairing public pumps. The Act directed the Assessor to carry out an assessment and set $300 as the maximum annual amount of taxation for the Town.17 The “Commissioners of North Laurel” would exist as a separate municipal corporation for only fourteen years.

In 1917, just ten years after its previous re-incorporation, the Town of Laurel was re-incorporated once again, this time as “The Town of Laurel.” The 1917 Incorporating Act mirrored the 1907 Act. The major change was to incorporate the structural changes made to the government in 1909 when the number of Council members was increased to five. The 1917 Act also expanded the provisions for vacating streets and included new regulations on paving and curbing. Certain monetary ceilings were also increased. The amount received annually for the Levy Court of Sussex County for street maintenance was increased from $600 to $750; the maximum aggregate amount of indebtedness allowed was increased from 8% to 10%, and the maximum annual amount of taxation was increased to $6,000.18

It would be thirty-six years before the Town of Laurel would again revise their Incorporating Act. In 1917, Laurel was authorized to borrow $5,000 to purchase a fire engine and fire equipment. A special tax was to be created in order to repay this loan within five years.19 In 1921, the maximum taxation that could be levied on the Town was increased to $12,000 annually.20 Two years later, in 1923, the Town was authorized to borrow $10,000 to purchase fire equipment; approval by referendum was required.21 Also in 1923, the Town of North Laurel was re-incorporated.22 However, within six years, North Laurel would cease to exist as a separate Town. In 1925, the maximum amount of tax to be levied in Laurel was increased to $18,000 annually; it was to include an annual allocation of $1,000 for the Laurel Fire Department. Also in this year, the term of office for the Council members was changed to four years; however, the Mayor’s term remained at two years.23 In 1929, after referendum approval, the Town of North Laurel was absorbed into Laurel, becoming its fourth ward. Two members were added to the Council, one for the fourth ward and one more member at large for a total of seven Council members. Laurel also increased their fines and length of jail time for violation of Town ordinances. In addition, the Town was authorized to borrow $15,000 with which to extend sewer and water systems into the fourth ward. Laurel was also authorized to borrow $32,000 in order to refund and re-issue bonds which were issued between 1899 and 1903 and also to establish a $4,000 emergency fund.24 In 1933, $108,000 in bonds, which represented money borrowed by the Town of Laurel, were redeemed and re-issued as the interest rates had significantly decreased and the new bonds were to be issued at the lower rate. The manner of repayment of the bonds was to be by a special tax.25 The Town also redeemed and re-issued bonds in 1935 in the amount of $27,000.26 In 1941, the provisions of the 1917 Act which required that all male residents work for two days a year to repair the streets was rescinded and the poll (per capita) tax was extended to both males and females. In addition, there was an increase in taxes to be levied to be no more than $24,000 annually.27 Six years later the amount of the annual maximum tax was increased again to $34,000. The same year a new limit was determined for the aggregate amount which Laurel could borrow which was now set at 15% of the assessed value of the Town’s real estate.28 In 1949, Laurel borrowed $105,500 with which to redeem and re-issue its outstanding bonds; it also capped the fee for use of the sewer system at $12 per household.29

 

1950 – 1999

A number of changes were made to the 1917 Incorporating Act in 1951, among which were requiring that all property owners connect to the water and sewer system; assigning power to the Council to layout and vacate streets without a request from the Town’s citizens; defining the circumstances under which a special election is required, and changing the election process and procedures. In addition, Laurel was authorized to borrow $100,000 to extend the sewer and water lines, to install a new well, and to broaden Spruce Street.30

In 1953, the Town of Laurel was re-incorporated as the “Mayor and Council of Laurel,” and was awarded a Charter of government. The territorial limits which now included land in both Little Creek and Broad Creek Hundreds were noted in the Charter as were the limits of each of the four wards. The Town was awarded the power to annex contiguous territory if requested by a majority of the property owners of that area. The changes that had been made to the structure of the government since 1917 were now incorporated into the new Charter. This included a seven-member Council, with one member elected from each of the four wards and three elected at large, all serving four-year terms. The chosen Council President served a two-year term as did the Mayor who was elected at large. Elections were held biennially and all residents 21 or over who had paid their Town taxes were eligible to vote. Other Town officials included the Town Clerk who served as a receiver of taxes and treasurer, Town Solicitor, Alderman, Chief of the Fire Department,  Chief of Police, and Water Commissioner. Town Boards included a Board of Health and a Board of Assessment. The Town was awarded forty-four enumerated powers, many of which had been included in the 1907 Incorporating Act. New enumerated powers included: issuing building permits, establishing Town zoning, enforcing health requirements for restaurants and hotels; enforcing the removal of snow; regulating parking; purchasing or selling of Town property; and establishing residency requirements for employees of the Town, the Fire Department and the Police Force. The Charter expanded on several of the enumerated powers awarded such as eminent domain, liens, and various forms of street improvements. It allowed Laurel to float debt of up to $20,000 for immediate needs and bonded indebtedness for certain municipal purposes which in aggregate would be no more than 15% of the assessed value of all real estate within the limits of the Town. The annual maximum taxation to be levied had been set at $34,000 in 1941 and this amount did not change. An additional $1,000 could be allocated to the Fire Department for purchase of equipment and keeping it in repair. If the funds were not needed for this purpose, they would be applied to Laurel’s bonded indebtedness. An additional amount raised each year in taxes was to be used to pay the interest on any outstanding loans and to provide money to the Town’s sinking fund which is used to pay bonds that have matured. A special provision was included in the Charter to address the issue of increasing the amount of tax to be raised yearly.31

Numerous amendments to the 1953 Charter would be made over the following thirty-one years. The first amendment was made in 1955 and it corrected the omission that the poll tax ended at age 65.32 In 1958, the amount of compensation to be paid to the Mayor was increased to $500, and each Council member was increased to $250.33 In 1959, the limit, in aggregate, of the Town’s bonded indebtedness, was increased to 25% of its assessed real estate value.34 In 1962, a law revised the process for selling municipal bonds.35 In 1967, two laws contained several provisions which amended the 1953 Charter. The first law increased the Mayor’s annual compensation to $700 and the Council’s to $350. The second law revised the process for expanding the territorial limits of the Town; re-apportioned the four wards; revised the procedures for contractual bidding; revised the procedures for publishing ordinances; revised the voting procedures; maximum taxation for the Town to $60,000.36 A law in 1970 revised the Charter to provide the Town the power to establish a pension and/or a health plan for its employees.37 In 1971, the annual maximum tax was increased to $120,000.38 In 1972, the position of Town Clerk was eliminated and a Town Manager position established. Another law that year revised the Charter to increase the amount of debt that could be floated for current expenses to $75,000. This debt was limited to a term of ten years.39 In 1973, the Charter was amended to expand the duties of the Chief of Police; and in another law that year, revisions were made to the process for borrowing money through bonded indebtedness. As part of these changes, $425,000 was set as the maximum bonded indebtedness that could be requested at any one time. The maximum aggregate amount remained at 25% of the assessed value of the Town’s real estate.40 In 1975, the limit on the amount of debt that could be floated for immediate needs was increased to 3% of the assessed value of real estate; however, the approval of three-fourths of the Council was required before borrowing this money and a special tax was imposed to repay the debt. In the same law, the voting age was lowered to 18 years. In the same year, another law changed Laurel’s fiscal year to begin on the first of July41, but two years later this was changed to October 1. Another section of the 1977 law allowed Laurel to adopt the assessment of Sussex County rather than carrying out their own.42 In 1978, the maximum tax which could be levied annually was increased to $225,000.43 Amendments in 1980 included allowing contracts of up to $5,000 to not require competitive bidding.44 In 1981, voting by absentee ballot was approved; the compensation for the Mayor and Council was changed from an annual lump sum to $50 and $25 per meeting, respectively; and a policy was to be implemented under which voters would be removed from the voter registration role if they did not vote regularly.45 A year later, the section of the Charter on the Alderman was revised which included adding the position of Associate Alderman. In another law that year, the Charter was amended to allow the Town to borrow money and issue revenue bonds; bonds in which the principal and interest would be repaid by the revenue to be received. Because of this, they could be issued without impacting the Town’s aggregate indebtedness.46 However, it was determined that the capital investment must be $250,000 in order for revenue bonds to be issued.47

In 1984, the Town of Laurel was once again re-incorporated and its Charter was updated by the many amendments approved since 1953. The territorial limits are laid out in metes and bounds and on the south side of Broad Creek closely matches the current Town boundaries. There have been several expansions of the Town limits in Broad Creek Hundred, which is on the north side of Broad Creek. The Town’s Charter includes a provision for annexing territory. The structure of government remained unchanged. The Charter sections included: Structure of Government; Ward Limits; Qualifications for Mayor and Town Council; Method of Making Nominations for Mayor or Town Councilman; Manner of Holding Biannual Municipal Election; Organizational Meeting of Council; Regular and Special Meetings; Quorum; Rules and Minutes of Council; Vacancies; Disqualifications; Contracts; Duties of Mayor and of Council; President of the Town Council; Secretary; Ordinances and Resolutions; Alderman and Assistant Alderman; Town Manager;  Town Solicitor; Board of Health; Police Force; Annual Audit; Board of Assessment; Assessment of Taxes; Levy of Annual Taxes; Collection of Annual Taxes; Collection of Annual Taxes; Town Budget; Enumeration of Powers; Streets; Curbing and paving; Collection or Charges Due the Town; Motor Vehicle Violations; Criminal Acts and Defenses; Power to Borrow Money and Issue Bonds; Power to Issue Revenue Bonds; Actions of Suits and Compendium. For general taxation purposes, the annual maximum tax to be levied was not to exceed $500,000.48

Since the last re-incorporation in 1984, the Charter of Laurel has been amended a number of times. In 1985, changes were made to the voting procedures, and a monetary cap which had been placed on the pension plan was removed. In the same year, another law provided that businesses which were being established or expanded by a capital investment of at least $100,000 were exempted from taxes for five years; however, if their investment was at least $500,000, they were exempted for ten years.49 In 1989, Laurel was granted the power to assess a 1% tax on transfers of real estate within its territorial limits.50 In 1991, the Town reverted back to a fiscal year which began on July 1.51 A year later the Charter was amended to allow for supplemental assessments if a property had not been included in the last assessment or there had been a significant change in its assessed value.52 A 1996 law made changes to the process undertaken when a property is sold for tax delinquency;53 and a 1998 law made changes in the procedures for issuing bonds.54

 

2000 – current

In the year 2000, Laurel revised its procedures if there existed vacancies in the elected officials of the Town.55 In 2001, a law made several changes to the structure of the government of the Town. One of the at-large seats on the Council was eliminated reducing the Council from seven to six members. Also, the Mayor became a voting member of the Council and was to preside over its meetings, thereby, eliminating the position of President of the Council. Rather than five of seven Council members, a quorum of the Council was now made up of the Mayor and four Council members.56 In 2005, the yearly compensation paid to the Mayor was increased to $1,920, and the compensation for each Council member increased to $960. The section of the Charter relating to early/late payment of taxes was also revised, and the number of general obligation bonds which Laurel could obligate was increased to $5 million with the bonded indebtedness ceiling increased to 50% of the assessed value of real estate.57 A law in 2007 provided for Municipal Tax Increment Financing and Special Development Districts in Laurel.58 A further increase in the maximum amount of general obligation bonds to $15 million was authorized in 2009.59 A law in 2010 allowed the Town to finance eligible costs of qualifying projects within Tax Increment Financing or Special Development Districts.60 In 2012, impact fees were added to those fees that were deemed as liens against real property.61 In 2013, the text of the Town’s territorial limits was eliminated from the Charter and reference was made to the map on file in the Recorder of Deed’s office in Sussex County.62 In 2014, the section of the Charter on issuing bonds was again revised, as was the section on the Alderman and Assistant Alderman who were now to be appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.63 The provision that a voter would be removed from the voter registration list if they did not vote regularly was eliminated in 2015.64 In 2016, a provision was added that in order to be eligible to run for municipal elective office, the candidate must have lived in Laurel for one year.65 Circumstances allowing tax abatement in Downtown Development Districts were approved in 2017 as was a return to compensating the Mayor and Council members per meeting rather than by a lump sum.66

For the fully amended text of the current Charter, see http://www.charters.delaware.gov/laurel.shtml

 


 

View selected photographs of Laurel

 


 

CITATIONS in Del. Laws

1 8 Del. Laws, Part II (1927) [pp. 610-14]

2 14 Del. Laws, c. 130 (1871) [pp. 162-64]

3 15 Del. Laws, c. 15 (1875) [pp. 34-35]

4 16 Del. Laws, c. 490 (1881) [pp. 650-51]

5 17 Del. Laws, c. 193 (1883) [pp. 387-94]

6 19 Del. Laws, c. 237 and c. 238 (1891) [pp.473-74 and p. 474]

7 19 Del. Laws, c. 742 (1893) [p. 1021]

8 21 Del. Laws, c. 284 (1899) [pp. 542-47]

9 22 Del. Laws, c. 185 (1901) [pp. 395-96]

10 22 Del. Laws, c. 186 (1901) [pp. 397-417]

11 22 Del. Laws, c. 434, c. 435, and c. 436 (1903) [p. 926, pp. 927-28, and pp. 929-30]

12 23 Del. Laws, c. 190 and c. 191 (1905) [pp. 387-88 and pp. 389-90]

13 24 Del. Laws, c. 214 (1907) [pp. 532-61]

14 24 Del. Laws, c. 215 (1907) [p. 562]

15 26 Del. Laws, c. 236 (1911) [p. 591]

16 27 Del. Laws, c. 251 and c. 252 (1913) [pp. 743-44 and pp. 745-46]

17 28 Del. Laws, c. 156 (1915) [pp. 488-95]

18 29 Del. Laws, c. 164 (1917) [pp. 546-87]

19 29 Del. Laws, c. 159 (1917) [pp. 539-40]

20 32 Del. Laws, c. 149 (1921) [p. 439]

21 33 Del. Laws, c. 151 (1923) [pp. 441-43]

22 33 Del. Laws, c. 152 (1923) [pp. 444-61]

23 34 Del. Laws, c. 149, c. 150, and c. 151 (1925) [p. 377, p. 378, and p. 379]

24 36 Del. Laws, c. 164, c. 165, c. 166, and c. 167 (1929) [pp. 509-15, p. 516, pp. 517-18, and p. 519]

25 38 Del. Laws, c. 105 and c. 106 (1933) [p. 439 and pp. 440-42]

26 40 Del. Laws, c. 168 (1935) [pp. 641-43]

27 43 Del. Laws, c. 168 (1941) [pp. 718-20]

28 46 Del. Laws, c. 221 and c. 305 (1947) [pp. 592-93 and pp. 923-24]

29 47 Del. Laws, c. 63, c. 64, and c. 188 (1949) [pp. 108-10, p. 111, and p. 394]

30 48 Del. Laws, c. 33, c. 36, c. 97, c. 102, c. 123, c. 215, and c. 325 (1951)

[pp. 86-89, p. 202, pp. 208-10, p. 254, pp. 588-91, and p. 817]

31 49 Del. Laws, c. 277 (1953) [pp. 507-51]

32 50 Del. Laws, c. 113 (1955) [p. 186]

33 51 Del. Laws, c. 309 (1958) [p. 670]

34 52 Del. Laws, c. 34 (1959) [p. 80]

35 53 Del. Laws, c. 328 (1962) [p. 835]

36 56 Del. Laws, c. 24 and c. 206 (1967) [p. 29 and pp. 669-86]

37 57 Del. Laws, c. 895 (1970) [p. 1157]

38 58 Del. Laws, c. 164 (1971) [p. 403]

39 58 Del. Laws, c. 582 and c. 587 (1972) [pp. 2007-08 and p. 2019]

40 59 Del. Laws, c. 3 and c. 8 (1973) [pp. 6-10 and pp. 20-21]

41 60 Del. Laws, c. 122 and c. 125 (1975) [pp. 478-79 and pp. 482-83]

42 61 Del. Laws, c. 177 (1977) [pp. 570-72]

43 61 Del. Laws, c. 504 (1978) [p. 1461]

44 62 Del. Laws, c. 288 and c. 293 (1980) [p. 683 and p. 690]

45 63 Del. Laws, c. 54 and c. 107 (1981) [p. 71 and p. 225]

46 63 Del. Laws, c. 203 (1982) [pp. 450-51 and pp. 465-66]

47 64 Del. Laws, c. 64 (1983) [p. 134]

48 64 Del. Laws, c. 288 (1984) [pp. 647-78]

49 65 Del. Laws, c. 117 and c. 284 (1985) [p. 215 and p. 541]

50 67 Del. Laws, c. 4 (1989) [pp. 2-3]

51 68 Del. Laws, c. 17 (1991) [p. 49]

52 68 Del. Laws, c. 207 (1992) [pp. 775-76]

53 70 Del. Laws, c. 385 (1996) [p. 841]

54 71 Del. Laws, c. 280 (1998) [p. 725]

55 72 Del. Laws, c. 279 (2000) [p. 527]

56 73 Del. Laws, c. 5 and c. 15 (2001) [pp. 37-38 and p. 56]

57 75 Del. Laws, c. 46, c. 47, and c. 176 (2005) [p. 41, p. 41, and p. 255]

58 76 Del. Laws, c. 17 (2007) [vol. I, p. 22]

59 77 Del. Laws, c. 7 (2009) [vol. I, p. 8]

60 77 Del. Laws, c. 391 (2010) [vol. II, p. 356]

61 78 Del. Laws, c. 314 (2012) [http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga146/chp314.shtml]

62 79 Del. Laws, c. 21 (2013) [http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga147/chp021.shtml]

63 79 Del. Laws, c. 316 and c. 411 (2014)

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga147/chp316.shtml]

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga147/chp411.shtml]

64 80 Del. Laws, c. 41 (2015) [http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga148/chp041.shtml]

65 80 Del. Laws, c. 230 (2016) [http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga148/chp230.shtml]

66 81 Del. Laws, c. 3 and c. 134 (2017)

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga149/chp003.shtml]

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga149/chp134.shtml]

 

Delaware Laws from 1935 to present can be found online at http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/


RECORDS at DPA


Town of Laurel records at the Delaware Public Archives include:

  • Minutes of the Town Council (1935-1997): 7130-000-001

 

jnl / August 30, 2018 | April 12, 2019


Related Topics:  , ,



+