Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Town and City Histories"

St. Georges

RG# 5300   The Town of St. Georges was settled in the first half of the eighteenth century and would develop along both sides of St. Georges Creek. In the nineteenth century, a plan was implemented to connect the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake Bay by constructing a canal which was opened in 1829. The […]

Read More


Roxana

RG# 7190   Roxana is one of only two communities in Delaware for which the corporation has been discontinued, and it ceased to exist as a town.  Its location was in southern Sussex County near the intersection of Zion Church Road (Route 20) and Roxanna Road (Route 17). Originally called Centreville, it was renamed Roxana […]

Read More


Ardentown

RG# 5020   Ardentown was founded in 1922 and along with the Villages of Arden and Ardencroft form the only surviving, non-sectarian, utopian enclave in the United States. Located entirely on the north side of Harvey Road, Ardentown is east of and adjoins Arden and includes all the land between Harvey Road and the southern […]

Read More


Ardencroft

RG# 5010   Ardencroft is one of the three villages that form the only surviving, non-sectarian, utopian enclaves in the United States. It is located just east of Arden, the first of these villages, founded in 1900, and is across Harvey Road from Ardentown, the second of these villages, founded in 1922. All of the […]

Read More


Hartly

RG #6070   The 1800s The 1868 Beers Atlas of Delaware shows a settlement called Arthursville in western Kent County where the road from Dover intersected the Maryland and Delaware Railroad line. The village was re-named Hartly for a Mr. Hart, a railroad employee, who was instrumental in bringing the railroad to the area. The […]

Read More


South Bethany

RG #7230   1950 – 1999 In 1952, a tract of 130 acres of marshland located just north of the barrier land separating the Atlantic Ocean from the Little Assawoman Bay was purchased by Richard Hall and his wife for development. They formed the South Bethany Corporation which drained and raised the marshland, established roads, […]

Read More


Seaford

RG #7200   1800 – 1849 Around 1800, Seaford, located at the head of navigation of the Nanticoke River near its confluence with Herring Creek, began to develop as a village with lots being laid out south of West (now King) Street and east of Market Street. A commercial ferry was established across the Nanticoke […]

Read More


Delmar

RG #7050   The 1800s In 1859, the Delaware Railroad extended its line to the southern boundary of Delaware and built a station on land donated to create a right-of-way for this purpose. Town lots were laid out near the station, and a house and store built. The town that formed was named by combining […]

Read More


Wyoming

RG #6180   1850 – 1899 The Town of Wyoming is located about a mile west of the Town of Camden in an area of rich agricultural land. By the nineteenth century, a community had formed, known as West Camden. In the 1850s, when the Delaware Railroad was plotting the line of its track through […]

Read More


Woodside

RG #6170   The 1800s In 1864, the Cowgill family was instrumental in convincing the Delaware Railroad to build a depot and station to serve the farms in the area south of Wyoming; it was named Willow Grove Station. The Cowgills also lobbied for a post office which initially took the name Fredonia. In 1869, […]

Read More





+