Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing More Info logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Laurel"


SC-84. The site of the town was originally part of tract known as “Bachelor’s Delight.” From 1711 to 1768 it included a Nanticoke Indian Reservation, comprising 3,000 acres, authorized by Act of Maryland Assembly. A village known as “Laurel” was in existence as early as 1799. Birthplace of Governor William H.H. Rose (elected 1850), and […]


RG# 7130   Before Mason and Dixon’s survey established the boundary between Delaware and Maryland, the location on the Broad Creek which would become Laurel was claimed by Maryland. In 1789, Barkley Townsend laid out 32 lots at Broad Creek Wading Place, an Indian settlement which had been abandoned, selling them to tradesmen. Ten years […]

Yearbooks at DPA

The Delaware Public Archives has a small collection of yearbooks researchers can use to learn about academic life through the 20th Century.