“North Baptist Church is located on Lincoln St., near Delaware Ave. Philip McDowell had coopershops located on the present site of the State Armory. He made barrels for the flour millers located on the Brandywine Creek. A small village surrounded these shops and it was called McDowellville. Mr. McDowell built a small chapel on the n. w. cor. of 11th and Dupont Sts., which he turned over to Delaware Avenue Baptist Church in 1871, to be used as a mission. It was known locally as the “Little Baptist Church.” Each year the members would gather up all of the children in the neighborhood and take them on a day-excursion to Penn’s Grove, N. J., where a pier and an amusement park were available.
The Wil. Baptist City Mission built a small mission building on Lincoln. St., near Delaware Ave., where the Lincoln Street Baptist Mission was organized in September, 1883. In December, 1888, Bethany Baptist Church purchased the property and took charge of the mission on Dec. 30, 1888.
In October, 1887, the Little Baptist Church at McDowellville combined with the Lincoln Street Mission. The chapel on Lincoln St. was rebuilt, sheathed with slate and a corner-stone was laid. The Sunday School room was opened on Sun., Feb. 19, 1888. The chapel was dedicated on Sun., Feb. -26, 1888, at 3 o’clock with the Rev. Moses Heath, presiding. The Rev. Henry G. Weston, D.D., President of Crozer Theological Seminary, preached the dedicatory sermon. Talks were given by the Rev. R. B. Cook and Washington Jones. The evening service was conducted by the Rev. George W. Quick.
On Dec. 4, 1894, a church was regularly organized and the name ‘North Baptist Church” was adopted. The church was recognized on Dec. 18, 1894. The congregation received title to the property on July 4, 1895 from Bethany Baptist Church.
On Jan. 4, 1932, a committee was appointed to arrange for improvements to the building. More land was secured from James A. Steele on May 31, 1932. The church was enlarged and a brick front was added. On June 15, 1932, the old corner-stone was replaced with due ceremony.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 28.