Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "frank r zebley"

The People’s Christian Congregational Church

“The People’s Christian Congregational Church of Dover. The Rev. Dr. A. W. Lightbourne was pastor of Wesley Methodist Church, in Dover, when the validity of his credentials was questioned by the Conference, meeting in Asbury Church at Wilmington, in 1908. After a trial Dr. Lightbourne was acquitted. In 1909, at the Conference in Milford charges […]

Pepper’s Methodist Episcopal Church

“Pepper’s M. E. Church, located two and one-quarter miles west of Georgetown, was organized and incorporated on Mar. 17, 1894. The church was then built and on Oct. 13, 1894, the property was transferred to a new board of trustees. During a heavy storm on Feb. 21, 1912, it was blown down. A new chapel, […]

Viola Methodist Church

“Magee’s M. E. Chapel, Viola Methodist Church (M. E.). Magee’s Chapel, located at Magee’s Crossroads, two miles west of Viola was founded by the Rev. J. N. Magee. In 1857, he built a frame tabernacle which was dedicated by the Rev. J. S. Willis. In 1858, a substantial frame church was built. It was dedicated […]

Disciples of Christ

“The Christian Church, Disciples of Christ Tabernacle at Bethany Beach. About 1900, a group of members presented to the church, sixteen acres of land at Bethany Beach. The tabernacle, which was then built, is of similar design to the study of Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the church. For a number of years […]

Manship Methodist Episcopal Church

“Manship A. M. E. Church, located at Bishop’s Corner, was built in 1830 at which time it was called “Sutton’s Meeting-House.” On Dec. 28, 1844, John Miller donated land to the meeting-house. In 1876, a new building was erected and the name was changed to “Manship.” On Mar. 1, 1886, one-quarter of an acre of […]

Bethany United Methodist Church

“In the early part of the twentieth century, members of the Old Jones’ Methodist Church began to search for a more central location for the congregation to worship. Although the land for the new church was donated by Sarah C. Collins in 1914, construction of the building had already begun the previous year. Incorporated on […]

Thawley’s Methodist Episcopal Church

“Thawley’s Methodist Church (M.E.) at Hickman. In 1884, land at Noble-town, Md., was secured from Zebedial Fountain upon which a chapel was erected. It was located close to Liden’s School. It was named Davis’ Chapel in honor of the Rev. A. D. Davis. In 1888, the chapel was moved to Hickman where it stands on […]

New Market Methodist Episcopal Church

“New Market M. E. Church is located, on a dirt road, one and three-quarters miles east of Ellendale. This church was formally organized as ‘Wesley M. E. Church” at a meeting held in the home of Wm. Morris, near Elias Lofland’s store, on Sept. 8, 1810, when trustees were elected “for the intended place of […]

Ebenezer African Methodist Episcopal Church

“Ebenezer A. M. E. Church. Three and one-quarter miles west of Under-wood’s Crossroads there was a small village called Blanco. The houses were of frame construction and for some reason they were not kept in repair. Gradually, one by one, they tumbled down and the only building that has survived is Ebenezer Church. This church […]

St. Georges Presbyterian Church

“St. Georges Presbyterian Church was founded in 1698. Meetings were held in a log building. The Rev. Henry Hook was installed as the first pastor in 1722. “On the 23rd day of April in the 15th year of George II, King of Great Britain, etc., and in the year of our Lord 1742,” Magdalene Cox […]