Attention Researchers: The Research Room will be closed on Wednesday, May 1st. More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

RG# 6100

City of Dover
RG 9015-028-000: Loockerman St, Dover

In 1683, William Penn first introduced the idea of a town to be called Dover as the court town for Kent County. However, it was not until 1717 that a plot was laid out for streets, squares, and lots. By 1722, a courthouse was built on the square (now known as The Green) and it became the county seat. In 1777, the capital of the newly formed State of Delaware was moved here from New Castle. It is currently the state’s second largest City.

 

1829 – 1849

In 1829, the Town’s government was formalized through incorporation as “The Commissioners of the Town of Dover.” Five men were appointed as Commissioners and were charged with hiring a surveyor who would make an accurate survey of the Town, establish its boundaries and file the survey with the Kent County Recorder of Deeds. The limits of the Town were to extend no more than eighty perches to the north and south from the center of the Green and all existing streets were to be named. New Commissioners were to be elected yearly with eligible voters to include all residents of the Town who could vote in Delaware’s general elections as well as every free white man and woman over 21 years of age who held a freehold interest in Dover real estate but did not reside there. The duties of the Commissioners were to establish wells and pumps; to protect the Town against fire; to fine residents who allowed their chimney to catch on fire; to place gravel on footpaths; to pave streets and gutters; to erect a market house, constructing and renting stalls within it; to regulate party walls between houses; to regulate fences that mark property lines; to abate nuisances; and to plant ornamental trees. The Commissioners were to establish the amount of tax that would be levied and to annually appoint an Assessor, a Collector, and a Treasurer. Property holders were required to pay for the cost of paving and guttering and planting of trees in front of their houses.1   

Amendments to the 1829 Incorporating Act were made just three years later in 1832 when additional powers were assigned to the Commissioners. In conjunction with the Justice of the Peace and Constable for Kent County, the Commissioners were to keep the peace in the Town by suppressing riotous or noisy assemblages at night or on the Sabbath; to prevent starting bonfires and the firing of guns and setting off firecrackers; and to regulate the streets and the public square.2 In 1841, a further amendment to the 1829 Incorporating Act provided that the government in the Town of Dover was to be vested in a Town Committee. This newly-configured body was to be made up of three Commissioners and an Alderman, who was to be an ex officio member of the Town Committee and to serve as its President. They were to meet four times yearly to provide for the peace, safety and good government of the Town. The same law called for the Alderman to be the Justice of the Peace who resided in Dover and was the longest-serving of all such Justices, and for a Constable who was also drawn from those serving the County, and for appointing a Town Collector. A maximum amount of taxation annually was to be not more than $100 annually, and a fee for owning dogs was enacted.3 In 1847, the Town Committee was empowered to regulate the livestock pens located in the Town, requiring them to be kept clean.4

 

1850 – 1899

In another amendment in 1853, the territorial limits of the Town of Dover were extended to the north between the St. Jones River and West Street extended. The Commissioners had oversight over all roads in the Town and were to provide for their maintenance with assistance from Kent County which was to allocate between $50 and $100 annually for this. In addition, the Commissioners were granted the power to appoint up to five Constables to act as Police and to provide public lamps for lighting the streets. In this same law, the maximum annual assessment for the Town was increased to $200.5 Two years later, a law repealed a provision in the 1853 law in which the principal north-south road through the Town was to be known by its original name of King Street.6

In 1861, the Town was re-incorporated as “The Town of Dover.” This Incorporating Act notes that the boundaries of the Town contained those originally plotted in 1829 plus the addition made in 1853. As was provided by amendment to the 1829 Incorporating Act, the government is now to be vested in a Town Committee made up of four Commissioners serving two-year, staggered terms with the Alderman serving as an ex officio member of the Town Committee and its President. Elections of the Commissioners are held yearly and those eligible to vote are white male citizens who reside in Dover, are 21 or older, and have paid their assessment. The Commissioners are to appoint a Treasurer, an Assessor, a Collector, and a Clerk. They may also appoint four Town Constables, who are to serve as the Town’s Police. The Commissioners are granted the powers assigned in the 1829 Incorporating Act and its amendments. They have the power to regulate the roads within the Town and to lay out new streets if so petitioned by residents of the Town as well as the authority to make regulations for the use of and preventing obstruction to the streets. Kent County is to assist in maintaining the streets by allocating $150 to the Town annually. The Commissioners also have the power to require residents who abut streets to pave the sidewalks with brick or stone and to establish gutters with adjoining property owners charged with the costs of this work. The Assessor must carry out an assessment of all white males in the Town as well as all real estate and the personal property of residents. The maximum annual assessment may not exceed $500 annually. It was the duty of the Alderman, the Commissioners, and the Constables to keep the peace. If the person disturbing the peace was a Negro or Mulatto, then in addition to fines and jail time, they were allowed to be whipped at the whipping-post with up to twenty lashes.7

The 1861 Incorporating Act was amended two years later. No longer was the longest serving Justice of the Peace required to be the Alderman; the Commissioners were able to choose the Justice who would serve in this position.8 An amendment in 1869 provided for the maximum annual taxes to be levied to be increased to $1,000 annually.9 In 1871, the limits of the Town were extended to the north to Washington Street, east of Main Street. Another law the same year changed the name of the street which ran north-south through the old town and the newly developed area. It had been known as Main Street north of Loockerman Street and King Street south of Loockerman; it was now to be called State Street.10 Two years later, in 1873, major changes were made to the 1861 Incorporating Act. The Town was divided into three districts and the number of Commissioners was increased from four to six with two Commissioners residing in each district. The Commissioners were to meet monthly. The powers awarded in prior Incorporating Acts regarding the regulation of the public square, the streets, the sidewalks, and curbs were re-stated. The number of Constables which made up the Town Police was increased to six, and their duties and that of the Alderman, who along with them was charged with keeping the peace, were also re-stated. The amount of taxes to be levied annually was determined to be not less than $800 nor more than $1,500.11 In 1875, the amount of taxes to be levied was increased to $2,000 annually.12

The next re-incorporation of the Town of Dover took place in 1877. In addition to the above-described extensions of the territorial limits of the Town, this Act further extended the boundaries to include land to the north of Washington Street and east of State Street as well as some land to the west side of State Street and north of Division Street and land on the west side of the Town from Division Street south to South Street. The government was vested in eight Councilmen, with two Councilmen representing each of the four Town districts, each serving a two-year term. An Alderman who resided in Dover was to be elected to serve as the Council President for a one-year term. The Council was to meet monthly. Town officials to be appointed included a Treasurer, a Tax Collector, an Assessor, and a Clerk. No limit was placed on the number of Constables which were to be appointed to form the Police force. The powers vested in the government of the Town in previous Incorporating Acts and their amendments were made a part of this Act. The one additional power authorized in this Act was to install a sewer if petitioned to do so. The cost of this was to be assessed on the property owners. The general assessment procedures are outlined in the Incorporating Act with the maximum tax to be levied on the Town as a maximum of $2,000 annually.13

Just two years later, in 1879, the Town of Dover was re-incorporated again. In this Incorporating Act, the various descriptions of the territorial limits as amended are combined into a whole and the boundary is described. Farmland currently within the boundary of the Town was not subject to taxation for five years unless it was laid out into lots. The Town Council, all of whom were required to be Dover residents, remains composed of nine members, eight Councilmen and the President of the Council. However, no longer was it indicated that the President of the Council was to be an Alderman. The Alderman was now to be appointed by the Council along with the various other Town officials. Although the various sections of this Incorporating Act are re-organized for better clarity, there is only one major change from the 1877 Incorporating Act; the section on sewers was eliminated.14 

It would be fourteen years before the Town of Dover was re-incorporated, and during that time the 1877 Incorporating Act was amended a number of times. In 1881, a law made several amendments: first, the bridges which were now within Dover’s territorial limits were to remain under the jurisdiction of Kent County; second, the maximum tax to be levied on the Town was increased to $2,500 annually; and third, the way in which costs are assigned for street paving was changed so that ⅔ of the cost was charged to the adjoining property owner with the other ⅓ being borne by the Town. Another law that year gave the Council the power to provide pure water for domestic use and prevention of fires and included the power to construct a waterworks and lay water mains and branches. To accomplish this, Dover was to borrow $20,000 issuing municipal bonds. The fees that were allowed to be charged by the Town would be used to maintain the waterworks and to pay interest on the bonds and establish a sinking fund.15 In 1883, Dover borrowed an additional $2,000 when the cost of the waterworks exceeded the $20,000 that had been authorized to accomplish this task. In the same year, another law amended the 1879 Incorporating Act to indicate that the Assessor, who was now required to be a freeholder in Dover, was to be elected rather than appointed. There was also an increase in the annual maximum tax on real estate to $4,000 annually and a maximum of $900 in per capita taxes; the five-year exemption of taxation for farmland was eliminated. Another law clarified that when streets are paved they must be of the same paving material throughout.16 In 1887, an amendment to the 1879 Incorporating Act indicated that the Town Council could extend water mains to Town residents if the fees to be received annually were at least 10% of the cost of carrying out the work. Another piece of legislation made technical corrections to the northern boundary of the Town as described in the 1879 Incorporating Act; opened State Street from William Street north to the millpond (now Silver Lake); put an freeze on charging a water tax to property owners until the water mains were extended to their properties; and exempted taxation on the Dover Glass Works for a period of ten years.17 In 1889, the section of the 1879 Incorporating Act on Town officials was revised.18 The duties of the Tax Collector were amended in an 1891 law which also exempted from taxation any property used in manufacturing if over six people were employed.19

In 1893 the Town of Dover was re-incorporated once again. After laying out the limits of the Town, the new Incorporating Act indicated that farmlands within the boundaries would be taxed if they were laid out in building lots and fronted on an improved street of the Town, in which case the first 150’ would be taxed. The structure of the government did not change. In fact, the 1893 Incorporating Act generally mirrored the 1879 Act, but with all amendments made since 1879 were incorporated, several of these just added as additional sections at the end of the 1893 Act.20

Just a month after the passage of the 1893 Incorporating Act, a law allowed the Tax Collector to deduct 5% if, just for the year 1893, a taxpayer paid their tax assessment early.21 In 1898, the maximum amount to be levied for taxes was increased to $5,000 annually.22 A year later, Dover was given the authority to locate, erect, construct, equip, and maintain an electric light plant as well as the authority to borrow $22,000, of which $10,000 was to be used to redeem bonds issued in 1881 for the Dover Water Works. The current bonds were to be called the Dover Electric Light and Water Bonds. Fees for providing light and water were to be used for the ongoing operation of the plants. A special tax was to be used to repay interest on the bonds issued.23

 

1900 – 1949

In 1903, Dover was given the authority to construct, extend and improve its sewer system as well as to regulate and control it; the law authorized Dover to borrow $30,000 to develop a plan for how to accomplish this expansion as well as how to apportion the costs among those who would be benefited. The law called for referendum approval before implementation.24 In 1905, the amount of taxes to be levied was increased to no more than $8,000 annually. In the same year, $12,000 in municipal bonds called Dover Electric Light and Water Bonds were refunded and re-issued.25 Two years later, a number of pieces of legislation authorized additional borrowing towards both the water and light plant ($10,000) and street improvements ($25,000) as well as made some revisions to the 1905 law which authorized issuing municipal bonds. In addition, the Levy Court of Kent County increased its annual allotment for road maintenance to $800, and a number of other minor amendments were made to the 1893 Incorporating Act.26 In 1909, Dover created a Street and Sewer Commission which was empowered to pave, gutter, and curb the streets and also to build and improve sewers. The cost to accomplish the proposed work was estimated at a maximum of $166,500, and it was to be charged proportionately to property owners based on the linear feet which they owned along the streets to be impacted. Property owners were required to connect when sewer mains were installed in the streets adjoining their property. Also in 1909, a law provided for an increase of $20,000 in the amount of money that could be borrowed to improve the light and water plants, and there was a change in the configuration of the voting districts.27 In 1911, Dover was again authorized to borrow money in the amount of $42,000 for which no specified use was indicated.28 In 1913, a law authorized curbs to be either stone or concrete with the property owner required to pay half the costs of their installation.29 A law passed in 1917 allowed Dover to contract for the re-distribution of electric light and also provided for the purchase of plant equipment.30 In 1921, a law authorized Dover to borrow $30,000 with which to enlarge and improve the light and water plant; it did not require a referendum vote. In other legislation that year, voting was opened to females and the maximum tax to be levied was increased to $12,000 annually.31 It is possible that the law from 1921 which authorized borrowing $30,000 was never acted on, as in 1923 a new law authorized $35,000 for the water and light plant and this law did require referendum approval.32 In 1925, the limits of the town were enlarged and Dover was authorized to borrow $60,000 to improve the electric and light plant,33 and in 1927, the Town was authorized to borrow $200,000 with which to extend the sewer system and improve its streets.34

Thirty-six years after its prior incorporation, Dover was re-incorporated and chartered in 1929, this time as the City of Dover. This Charter included what had been authorized in the 1893 Incorporating Act and all amendments made since that time. The limits of the City were unchanged from those contained in the expansion of 1925. The structure of the government was changed in that a Mayor replaced the President of the Council; however, the number of Council members remained the same. Elections were to be held in January each year with the Mayor serving a one-year term and the Council members serving two years. The Mayor served as Executive and Chief Official of the City but had no vote at Council meetings except in the case of a tie. The Council, that serves as the legislative branch of the City government, was vested with the power to pass ordinances for the peace, order, sanitation, appearance, beauty, safety, health, protection, and preservation of property in the City. The Council met at least monthly to fulfill their responsibilities. Another change in the structure of government is the Council’s appointment of a City Manager. Other City Officials were the Vice-Mayor and City Clerk, both of whom were members of the City Council, and the City Treasurer, the Collector of Taxes, the Alderman, and the City Solicitor. Assessment of real property, as well as male citizens over the age of 21, was to be carried out every third year by an Assessor or Assessors chosen by the Council. The maximum level of taxation was to be no more than $25,000 annually. Additional funds were to be collected to repay bond interest and establish a sinking fund to refund municipal bonds as they came due. The Charter also authorized the City to be able to float a loan for immediate needs, borrowing no more than $50,000.35

For the next 76 years, the City of Dover was governed by the 1929 Charter. However, it was amended many times with the first amendment just two years after its passage. In 1931, the fiscal year was changed so as to begin July 1. Dover was given the power to issue business licenses and amusement licenses, and there were also revisions to the provisions in the Charter on streets and sidewalks.36 In 1933, an amendment revised the regulations on tax liens.37 In 1935, a ten-year tax exemption was initiated for manufacturing facilities of under five acres; a procedure was established for condemning property, and $450,000 was authorized to be issued in municipal bonds in order to redeem outstanding bonds.38 In 1945, a law authorized the City to redeem and re-issue $360,000 in bonds.39 In 1947, the City was authorized to establish a pension system for employees, and the per capita assessment was extended to include both males and females.40 In 1949, the Mayor’s term of office was changed from one year to two; the maximum level of taxation in the City was increased to $100,000 annually; the general assessment which had been carried out every three years was now to be carried out every year; and the Council which had previously been uncompensated was to be paid $10 for each meeting they attend. In addition, after referendum approval, Dover was authorized to borrow $500,000 with which to improve the water and electric plant.41

 

1950 – 1999

In 1951, Dover was authorized to borrow $100,000 to cover the expenses of repairing the incinerator, the streets lights, and other equipment. They also borrowed $2 million for the general improvement of the City including its streets and public buildings, and its water, electric and sewer systems. Also in 1951, the tax to be levied was increased to not exceed $150,000 annually.42 In 1953, the City was authorized to extend its boundaries and six parcels were annexed; and in the same year, additional amendments were made to the Charter which included revising the procedures for municipal elections; authorizing the extension of the sewer system beyond City limits; and increasing the amount of money which could be borrowed for short term needs to $100,000, in aggregate. In addition, $2.5 million in municipal bonds were authorized, after referendum approval, for the construction, improvement, enlargement or repair of the water, electric, or sewer plants, the public buildings, or the streets.43 In 1955, the establishment of a police pension fund was authorized.44 In 1957, procedural changes were made to the Charter related to borrowing money with referendum approval and the assessment process.45 In 1959, Dover received authorization to borrow up to 25% of the assessed value of real property within its limits as well as authorization to finance and issue revenue bonds for improvements to or extension of the water supply, sewer or electricity. Revisions were also made to the procedures for annexing property into the City.46 A law passed in 1960 clarified that although exempt from property taxes, manufacturing facilities were required to pay water and sewer fees.47 In 1963, a number of amendments were made to the Charter. These included: making changes to the election process; revising the qualifications for those running for office and for electors; changing the district boundaries; allowing the Council to appoint a Deputy Alderman and a Deputy Solicitor; changing the floating debt for immediate needs to be up to 1% of the total taxable assessment; and authorizing annual taxation to not exceed 2% of the total taxable value of real property.48 In 1967, Charter amendments contained new provisions related to the paving of the streets, curbing and guttering as well as new procedures for special assessments for the costs of sanitary sewers, storm sewers, water mains, streets, sidewalks, streetlights, curbs or gutters.49 In 1970, it was determined that the interest paid on revenue bonds would be no more than 6%.50 In 1973, the referendum procedures when annexing territory into the City were revised and the City’s general election procedures were once again revised so as to be consistent with state law.51 In 1976, the earlier law related to annexation was repealed and new procedures for annexing territory were approved as part of the Charter. In addition, the procedure for filling Council vacancies was revised. A more comprehensive law that same year made nine amendments to the Charter among which were indicating that the boundaries of the City in the Charter were no longer correct, but current boundaries could be found on a map at the Kent County Recorder of Deeds office; revising the elections rules, including the hours and place of elections; changing the procedures for special elections; and authorizing the Council to grant or refuse a franchise to a public utility.52 Further changes to the election procedures were made in 1977.53 The issue of determining the valuation of farmland was addressed in an amendment in 1979.54 In 1983, a law was passed which contained a number of Charter amendments. Among other issues, this law provided for assessments to be carried out every ten years by an independent appraiser in lieu of the process carried out annually by the City’s Assessors; included a provision for determining the assessed value of newly-constructed properties more often than every ten years; allowed those over 18 to vote; and required members of the Dover Planning Commission to be residents of Dover with two members from each Council district and one at large. Another law that same year revised the section of the Charter on debt limits but did not change the Dover’s debt criteria.55 A 1985 law made changes to the compensation received by certain City officials.56 A 1986 law required that Dover’s voting districts be re-districted so that the populations of the four districts be almost equal in population based on the most recent census data.57 In 1987, the procedures to run for Mayor and Council were amended, and further changes were made to the compensation for City officials.58 In 1988, Dover was authorized to impose a tax on the transfer of real estate in accordance with state law; the section of the Charter on the qualifications of Mayor and Council was also revised; and the number of Council members was increased to nine, two for each of the four districts and one elected at large with a Council President elected yearly who was to also serve as Vice-Mayor. The Mayor now was to preside only at the annual meeting of the Council and at certain special meetings, while the Council President chaired all other Council meetings.59 In 1989, the section of the Charter which related to the Municipal Lien Docket was revised, and the dates of certain City functions were revised.60 Three laws in 1991 made participation in the City employee pension plan mandatory; established an election board; and established procedures if the Council President was absent.61 In 1992, further changes were made to the election process.62 In 1993, the Charter was amended to allow for bonds to be issued without referendum in order to finance storm sewers and streets or to refund if the amount was less than $1 million and the total aggregate indebtedness did not exceed that which was allowed by the Charter, or in cases where bonds were to be refunded prior to their maturity and re-issued. In another law, the Council was given the authority to determine when a re-assessment of real estate would be carried out by the independent appraiser.63 A 1997 law again addressed the issue of compensation for Mayor and Council.64

 

2000 – Current

In 2000, there was an increase in the maximum penalty that could be charged for violation of a City ordinance from $100 to $1,000.65 In 2001, a law amended the Charter to indicate that assessments of property by the City Assessor would be carried out every three years with supplemental assessments of individual properties carried out if there was a significant change in value. Assessments carried out by an independent appraiser were at Council request.66 A final revision to the 1929 Charter was made in 2002 when a reference to the Delaware Code which had been incorrectly cited was changed.67

In 2005, the City of Dover was re-incorporated. No longer are the boundaries listed in the Charter; instead, a reference is made to the map recorded with Kent County. The procedures by which land is annexed into Dover are greatly simplified, referring to procedures outlined in the Delaware Code. The structure of the government had been changed since 1929 and the new Charter reflected these changes. A nine-member City Council is Dover’s legislative body, serving two-year terms and representing four districts with one member at large. The Mayor, who also holds a two-year term, is also elected at large. Elections are to be held in April and those eighteen and older can vote. In order to be valid, any action by the Council must have an affirmative vote by a majority of the Council members and must also be approved by the Mayor. When the Mayor does not provide approval, an affirmative vote by two-thirds of the Council is required in order to adopt an action. City officials mentioned in the Charter include the Clerk of the Council, City Manager, City Treasurer, and City Solicitor as well as a Police Force. The City is afforded all powers allowed to municipal corporations by the Constitution of Delaware. Some of these are the power to condemn property; to set up a pension system for Dover employees and the police; to tax the transfer of real estate; to define nuisances and cause their abatement; to provide for fire protection; to adopt zoning ordinances; to regulate the construction of buildings by requiring permits; to create a City Planning Commission; to franchise or license public utilities; to operate utility plants; to supervise the sewer system; to layout, locate, abandon, streets and sidewalks; to pave streets and sidewalks and levy assessment for public improvements; to regulate traffic; to provide for disposal of garbage; to regulate parking and parking lots; and to protect trees. The methods of assessing property are addressed as is the requirement that new property be assessed upon construction. For the general tax, Dover’s may not exceed 2% of the total taxable value of real property. The Charter also specifies the allowed debt limit. For immediate needs, Dover may borrow up to 1% of the total taxable value of real property to be paid back out of revenue received in taxes. Such borrowing requires the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the Council and the approval of the Mayor. Dover’s bonded indebtedness cannot exceed 25% of the total assessed value of real property situated within its boundaries. The City may borrow funds without referendum approval to finance storm sewers and streets provided that not more than $1 million is borrowed at one time and the aggregate does not exceed 1% of the total taxable assessment for a general tax. The amount of money which must be raised annually to repay interest on outstanding bonds must be determined annually and this amount as well as what is required for a sinking fund to redeem the bonds added to the general taxes charged annually to Dover residents.68

The first amendment to the 2005 Charter was made two years later. In it, the amount of bonded indebtedness after referendum approval was decreased from 25% to 5% of the assessed value of real estate, and the amount borrowed without referendum approval could equal no more than 0.25% of the total assessed value of real property or $3 million, whichever is less. The aggregate of all bonds is not to exceed 1% of the value of real estate.69 A 2009 law made twenty-three amendments to the Charter. Among the more significant revisions in the law were: adding a preamble to the Charter; decreasing the age at which a person can run for Mayor or Council to 18; renaming the Clerk of the Council to be the City Clerk and the City Treasurer to Controller/Treasurer; and appointing an election board to oversee City elections.70 In 2011, the provision in the Charter that required a sitting Council member who ran for Mayor and lost the election to lose their Council seat was revoked.71 In 2012, the term of office for Mayor and Council was changed to four years with elections held biennially; the requirement to carry out assessments every three years was eliminated; and the type of projects that could be funded by bonded indebtedness was clarified.72 In 2013, changes were made to the Charter to remove redundant language and the process for annexing land was changed.73 In 2017, a law clarified that ad valorem taxes and special taxes do not factor into the debt limit.74

For the fully amended text of the current Charter, see http://www.charters.delaware.gov/dover.shtml

 


 

View selected photographs of Dover

 


CITATIONS in Del. Laws

1 7 Del. Laws, c. 207 (1829) [pp. 453- 465]

2 8 Del. Laws, c. 169 (1832) [pp. 197-8]

3 9 Del. Laws, c. 307 (1841) [pp. 349-51]

4 10 Del. Laws, c. 280 (1847) [pp. 220-21]

5 11 Del. Laws, c. 103 (1853) [pp. 97-99]

6 11 Del. Laws, c. 256 (1855) [p. 281]

7 12 Del. Laws, c. 65 (1861) [pp. 89-99]

8 12 Del. Laws, c. 294 (1863) [pp. 317-18]

9 13 Del. Laws, c. 475 (1869) [pp. 480-81]

10 14 Del. Laws, c. 110 and c. 124 (1871) [p. 124 and p. 150]

11 14 Del. Laws, c. 540 (1873) [pp. 623-27]

12 15 Del. Laws, c. 156 and c. 161 (1875) [p. 280 and p. 285]

13 15 Del. Laws, c. 459 (1877) [pp. 575-88]

14 16 Del. Laws, c. 107 (1879) [pp. 140-59]

15 16 Del. Laws, c. 488, c. 495, and c. 498 (1881) [p. 649, pp. 657-68, and pp. 663-67]

16 17 Del. Laws, c. 186, c. 188, c. 190, and c. 194 (1883) [p. 367, pp. 368-70, p. 372, and p. 394]

17 18 Del. Laws, c. 12, c. 167, c. 171, and c. 173 (1887) [p. 41, p. 290, pp. 298-99, and pp. 300-301]

18 18 Del. Laws, c. 638 (1889) [pp. 811-12]

19 19 Del. Laws, c. 227 (1891) [pp. 446-47]

20 19 Del. Laws, c. 746 (1893) [pp. 1031-57]

21 19 Del. Laws, c. 747 (1893) [p. 1057]

22 21 Del. Laws, c. 98 (1898) [p. 236]

23 21 Del. Laws, c. 280 and c. 281 (1899) [pp. 517-19 and pp. 519-22]

24 22 Del. Laws, c. 422 (1903) [pp. 875-85]

25 23 Del. Laws, c. 176 and c. 177 (1905) [p. 320 and pp. 303-05]

26 24 Del. Laws, c. 202, c. 203, c. 204, and c. 205 (1907) [pp. 453-56, pp. 457-60, p. 461, and p. 462]

27 25 Del. Laws, c. 187 and c. 188 (1909) [pp. 354-65 and pp. 366-68]

28 26 Del. Laws, c. 224 (1911) [pp. 511-15]

29 27 Del. Laws, c. 234 (1913) [pp. 666-67]

30 29 Del. Laws, c. 148 (1917) [p. 455]

31 32 Del. Laws, c. 128 and c. 129 (1921) [pp. 382-85 and p. 386]

32 33 Del. Laws, c. 133 (1923) [pp. 389-91]

33 34 Del. Laws, c. 133 and c. 134 (1925) [pp. 339-41 and pp. 342-44]

34 35 Del. Laws, c. 101 (1927) [pp. 312-15]

35 36 Del. Laws, c. 158 (1929) [pp. 446-80]

36 37 Del. Laws, c. 150, c. 151, and c. 152 (1931) [p. 519, p. 520, and pp. 521-26]

37 38 Del. Laws, c. 99 (1933) [p. 430]

38 40 Del. Laws, c. 157, c. 158, and c. 159 (1935) [p. 567, pp. 568-71, and pp. 572-75]

39 45 Del. Laws, c. 177 (1945) [pp. 666-69]

40 46 Del. Laws, c. 1, c. 275, and c. 283 (1947) [p. 3, pp. 792-93, and p. 857]

41 47 Del. Laws, c. 219, c. 313, c. 314, c. 315, & c. 330 (1949) [p. 463, p. 695, pp. 696-8, pp. 699-704, & p. 736]

42 48 Del. Laws, c. 323, c. 333, c. 334, and c. 336 (1951) [p. 815, p. 844-45, p. 846, and p. 849-54]

43 49 Del. Laws, c. 314 and c. 318 (1953) [pp. 644-51 and pp. 657-64]

44 50 Del. Laws, c. 471 (1955) [p. 471]

45 51 Del. Laws, c. 92 and c. 93 (1957) [p. 145 and pp. 146-47]

46 52 Del. Laws, c. 111, c. 112, and c. 136 (1959) [pp. 286-93, p. 294, and p. 330]

47 52 Del. Laws, c. 249 (1960) [p. 545]

48 54 Del. Laws, c. 96 and c. 165 (1963) [pp. 293-95 and pp. 528-29]

49 56 Del. Laws, c. 49 (1967) [pp. 147-50]

50 57 Del. Laws, c. 340 (1970) [p. 1060]

51 59 Del. Laws, c. 98 and c. 165 (1973) [pp. 181-82 and pp. 477-78]

52 60 Del. Laws, c. 301, c. 311, and c. 456 (1976) [pp. 933-35, p. 947, and pp. 1284-89]

53 61 Del. Laws, c. 147 (1977) [pp. 473-75]

54 62 Del. Laws, c. 100 (1979) [p. 252]

55 64 Del. Laws, c. 5 and c. 143 (1983) [pp. 9-11 and pp. 356-58]

56 65 Del. Laws, c. 28 (1985) [p. 24]

57 65 Del. Laws, c. 479 (1986) [p. 912]

58 66 Del. Laws, c. 63 and c. 180 (1987) [p. 104 and p. 387]

59 66 Del. Laws, c. 361 and c. 365 (1988) [p. 790 and pp. 795-800]

60 67 Del. Laws, c. 7 (1989) [p. 6]

61 68 Del. Laws, c. 16, c. 18, and c. 20 (1991) [p. 49, p. 50, and p. 51]

62 68 Del. Laws, c. 339 (1992) [p. 1162]

63 69 Del. Laws, c. 9 and c. 31 (1993) [p. 8 and p. 28]

64 71 Del. Laws, c. 64 (1991) [p. 113]

65 72 Del. Laws, c. 277 (2000) [p. 502]

66 73 Del. Laws, c. 114 (2001) [pp. 334-35]

67 73 Del. Laws, c. 284 (2002) [p. 204]

68 75 Del. Laws, c. 175 (2005) [pp. 243-55]

69 76 Del. Laws, c. 119 (2007) [vol. I, pp. 130-31]

70 77 Del. Laws, c. 130 (2009) [vol. I, pp. 309-12]

71 78 Del. Laws, c. 2 (2011) [http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga146/chp002.shtml]

72 78 Del. Laws, c. 213, c. 217, and c. 225 (2012)    

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga146/chp213.shtml]

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga146/chp217.shtml]                                                                             

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga146/chp225.shtml]

73 79 Del. Laws, c. 105 and c. 106 (2013)

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga147/chp105.shtml]

[http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga147/chp106.shtml]

74 81 Del. Laws, c. 23 (2017) [http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/ga149/chp023.shtml

Delaware Laws from 1935 to present can be found online at http://delcode.delaware.gov/sessionlaws/


RECORDS at DPA


City of Dover records at the Delaware Public Archives include:

  • Water Rent (1884-1899): 6100-000-000
  • Horse Tax Assessment (1912): 6100-000-001
  • Tax Assessment (1925-1934): 6100-000-002
  • Building Permits (1932-1938, 2004-2008): 6100-000-003
  • Audit Report/Examination of Accounts (1908-1919, 1938-1946): 6100-000-004
  • Water Line Rents (1930-1931): 6100-000-005
  • General Receipts (1925-1930): 6100-000-006
  • Ledger (1910-1915): 6100-000-008
  • Light Ledger Fund (1925-1930): 6100-000-009
  • Water Ledger Fund (1915-1930): 6100-000-010
  • Cash Book (1928-1930): 6100-000-011
  • Cash Receipts (1885-1890): 6100-000-012
  • Charter, Laws and Ordinances (1910): 6100-000-013
  • Tax Records (1923-1931): 6100-000-014
  • Assessment Maps (1909): 6100-000-015
  • Street and Sewer Commission Files (1890-1910): 6100-000-016
  • Meter and Attachments (1884-1899): 6100-000-017
  • Miscellaneous Financial Records (1917-1943): 6100-000-019
  • Cash Book (1924-1926): 6100-000-020
  • Improvement Plans (1909): 6100-000-021
  • Minute Book of the Board of Health (1903-1928, 1931): 6100-000-023
  • Water Tax Books (1887-1892): 6100-000-026
  • Dover-Lamia, Greece Sister City Records (1961-1967): 6100-000-033
  • Photographs (c. 1960-1972): 6100-000-034
  • Proclamations (1984, 1995, 1997): 6100-000-036
  • Annual Reports and Financial Statements (1883-1917, 1933-1934): 6100-000-037
  • Alderman’s Judgement Docket (no date): 6100-000-038
  • Minutes of the Commissioners/Town and City Council (1829-1892, 1915-1993, 2004-2011): 6100-001-018
  • Minutes of various City Council Committees (2007-2011): 6100-001-018-001
  • Executive Minutes, Downtown Dover Development Committee Corp. (1990-2001): 6100-001-028
  • Minutes of the Downtown Dover Development Committee Corp. (DDDC) (1989-2002): 6100-001-029
  • Council Correspondence (2003-2006): 6100-001-031
  • General Fund Ledger (1908-1930, 1992-2001): 6100-004-007
  • Plans and Inspections Site Approval Files (1996-1999): 6100-008-024
  • Minutes of the Dover Planning Commission (1966-1988): 6100-008-025
  • Commercial and Government Building Plans (1931, 1980-2002, 2009): 6100-008-030
  • Zoning and Re-zoning Files (1991-2004): 6100-008-032
  • Fire Marshall-Fire Prevention Permit Log (1998, 2002-2009): 6100-008-035
  • Dover Public Library – Local Historical Slide Programs and Filmstrips (1979-1985): 6100-009-022
    • Abbott’s Mill
    • Delaware City
    • Dover
    • Frederica
    • Harrington
    • Leipsic
    • Middletown
    • Milford
    • Newark
    • North Murderkill Hundred
    • Odessa
    • Port Penn
    • Rockwood
    • Georges
    • Smyrna
    • Townsend
    • Wilmington 1876
    • Wilmington in the Marine World
    • Women from Delaware’s Past
    • Finding Your Ancestors – Introducing Genealogy
    • Immigration and Genealogy – Colonial Times
    • Delaware in History
    • Delaware, A Modern State
  • Tax Assessment Books (1925-1936, 1938, 1941, 1945, 1947, 1951): 6100-011-002
  • Tax Assessor Property Record Cards (undated): 6100-011-022     

jnl / August 17, 2018 | April 15, 2019


Related Topics:  , ,



+