Erected 1760 by Thomas Cooch who had come here from England 1746. He was captain in French and Indian War, member of Colonial Assembly, judge of Court of Common Pleas and colonel in American Revolution. House enlarged by his grandson, William Cooch, an incorporator of first Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Company, and Major General of Delaware militia. Lord Cornwallis had quarters here September 3 to 8, 1777.
Location: Old Baltimore Pike (Rd. 336), north side, 3.5 miles south of Newark. Newark, DE 19702