Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Cooch’s Bridge"

The Cooch House

Erected 1760 by Thomas Cooch who had come here from England 1746. He was captain in French and Indian War, member of Colonial Assembly, judge of Court of Common Pleas and colonel in American Revolution. House enlarged by his grandson, William Cooch, an incorporator of first Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Company, and Major General of […]



The Philadelphia Campaign – Battle of Cooch’s Bridge

NC-182: originally installed in 2008. In August 1777, British forces under the command of General William Howe landed at the Head of Maryland’s Elk River. Their goal was the capture of Philadelphia, the capital of the young republic. On September 3, advancing troops were engaged by an American force under the command of General William […]



British Position

NC-42: originally installed in 2008.   British and Hessian regiments were advancing along this road on September 3, 1777, when “pretty smart skirmishing” occurred between them and the Americans. British and Hessian armies progressed until their lines extended from Aiken’s Tavern (Glasgow) to Iron Hill and across the Christiana, where they remained for five days. […]



American Position Battle of Cooch’s Bridge

NC-41: originally installed in 1932; reinstalled in 2008.   The Americans at Battle of Cooch’s Bridge, September 3, 1777, were stationed along the road between here an Aikentown (Glasgow). They had a post a Cooch’s Mill which stood on the west side of the creek, where severe fighting occurred. Skirmishing began near Aikentown and continued […]






+