page logo

Photo of Church

“Williamsville Methodist Church (M.E.) was the outgrowth of meetings held in the schoolhouse previous to 1850. Then, W. T. Griffith donated a piece of land upon which a chapel was built and named “Griffith’s Chapel,” in honor of the donor. A graveyard is located beside the church, the tombstones dating back to 1862. In 1884, services were discontinued and the membership transferred to Houston Church. The church was reopened in 1897. After another closed period it was reopened as a Houston charge. Services were discontinued in 1940. The church was reopened on Sun., Mar, 15, 1942, with Robert Hammond as Supt. of the Sunday School. Preaching is held every other Sunday by the pastor of Houston Church.” (1)

See more photos

Resources Related to Thompsonville, DE:

Learn more about this town

Text Source:

1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 250, 252.

Learn more about the churches of Delaware