Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing email@example.com More Info
“White Clay Creek Church existed prior to 1718, meeting in a small log cabin at this site. The area became known as Meeting House Hill. In 1721, White Clay Meeting formally became the White Clay Creek Congregation. Rev. Thomas Craighead purchased 402 acres of property and deeded one acre of land with the cabin to the church trustees in 1727, with an additional half-acre donated in 1735. Revivalist George Whitfield preached here in 1739 to a crowd of 8000 people. During the Great Schism, a group of New-Siders separated. In 1752, the faction built a new church at the corner of Kirkwood Highway. The Congregation reunited in 1758.” (1)
1. Delaware Historic Markers Program, White Clay Creek Church, NCC -232.