“Saxton’s Methodist Church (M.E.), located one and one-half miles west of Bower’s Beach, was built on land donated by John Saxton, on Jan. 23, 1881. The chapel was dedicated on Dec. 8, 1879. In 1893, the chapel was moved to its present site at Bower’s Beach. The opening service was held on Sun., Dec. 3, 1893. It was conducted by the Revs. W. L. S. Murray, Robert Watt and S. R. Maxwell. This site was purchased from Elizabeth Minner on June 20, 1894. (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 232.
Related Topics: Bowers Beach, church, frank r zebley