page logo

Photo of Church

“Manship A. M. E. Church, located at Bishop’s Corner, was built in 1830 at which time it was called “Sutton’s Meeting-House.” On Dec. 28, 1844, John Miller donated land to the meeting-house. In 1876, a new building was erected and the name was changed to “Manship.” On Mar. 1, 1886, one-quarter of an acre of land was purchased from James W. Emerson. In 1890, the church was again rebuilt. The membership is chiefly, if not entirely, com-posed of Moors, who settled in this section many years ago. There is a graveyard beside the church.” (1)

See more photos

Resources Related to Cheswold:

Learn more about this town

Text Source:

1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 205-206.

Learn more about the churches of Delaware