page logo

church image

“Gilbert Presbyterian Church. In 1859, Central Church opened a mission in the Phoenix Fire House at 209 e. 14th St. and named it Brandywine Mission. On July 7, 1866, the lot at the s. e. cor. of 13th and French Sts. was purchased as a church site. A frame church was built in 1868 and named “Gilbert Chapel.” The chapel was enlarged in November, 1882. Services were held regularly until 1886 when the members were merged with Central Church. The property was then rented to the Heavenly Recruits. The chapel was owned by the First-Central Church and is occupied by Ezion Fair Baptist Church, colored, who purchased the building on July 31, 1945.” (1)

See more photos
Learn more about this town

Text Source:

1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 16

Learn more about the churches of Delaware