page logo

Photo of Church

“The First Methodist Church (M.E.), at Delmar. The first sermon, in Delmar, was preached on Sept. 4, 1867, in the home of M. M. Hill. A plank church was built in 1868. The last sermon, in Mr. Hill’s home was preached on Jan. 26, 1868. The new church was dedicated on Feb. 16, 1868, by the Rev. Joseph Cook and was named “Wesley.”

A new church was built in 1872. It was dedicated on Nov. 30, 1872, by the Revs. Enoch Stubbs and W. E. England. The church site was purchased on Nov. 28, 1873, from Elijah Freeney. In 1884, a tower and steeple were added. The church was improved in 1891, and it was rededicated on Sun., Oct. 25, 1891, by the Revs. J. D. C. Hanna, H. S. Dulaney and A. D. Davis, the pastor.

On Aug. 17, 1892, in a conflagration that destroyed one-half of the town, the church was burned. After this, meetings were held in the cannery and then in the Baptist Church. A new church was built immediately.

Land was purchased from Nathaniel Hitchens on Feb. 15, 1893, from S. J. Hitchens on May 21, 1908 and from Fannie E. Elliott on Aug. 7, 1913. The church was incorporated on Mar. 11, 1929. In 1932, the steeple was replaced with a tower and the entire building was brick-veneered. The work was completed in 1933. A new organ was installed in 1939. The name “First” was adopted in 1940. The church maintains a large cemetery on e. State St. Additional land for this purpose was purchased from Chas. C. Jones, on Oct. 20, 1934 and from John P. West on July 2, 1937.” (1)

See more photos

Resources Related to Delmar, DE:

Learn more about this town

Text Source:

1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 340.

Learn more about the churches of Delaware