“The Wilmington Church of Christ in Elsmere. This congregation was established in 1943, when services were started in the home of John W. Allen, Jr., at Edge Moor Gardens. After a tent revival held on Vandever Ave., Wilmington, a room was secured in the Odd Fellows’ Hall where church services were held. On Dec. 24, 1943 the congregation purchased the Elsmere Community Building which they renovated and adapted to church needs. The church was incorporated on June 25, 1944. The opening service was held on Sun., Aug. 27, 1944, with the Rev. Willard Collins in charge. He was assisted by the Rev. Clyde P. Findlay, the pastor.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 132.