“The Delaware City Presbyterian Church. The first Presbyterian meetings, in Delaware City, were held in private homes and in the schoolhouse. On Nov. 17, 1835, Manuel Eyre donated land on the n. e. cor. of 2nd and Jefferson Sts., upon which to build a church and to maintain a graveyard. In 1835, a one-story brick church was erected. On May 11, 1846, the property was deeded to the trustees of the Delaware City Church. Previous to that time, the title had been held by the St. George’s Presbyterian Church. On Sept. 4, 1846, the church was organized as a separate charge. During the period covering 1858, the Del. City Academy was conducted in the church with the Rev. George F. Wiswell of Central Church, Wilmington, as principal. A frame building had been erected for Sunday School purposes. In 1872, the church was enlarged and remodeled. The manse was built in 1886. On Sun., Dec. 2, 1945, an American flag in memory of Mrs. Elizabeth Winchester and a church flag, a gift of the board of deacons, were received by the Rev. Dr. A. H. Kleffman, on behalf of the church. A cormer-stone laying service was conducted on Sun., Sept. 8, 1946, by the Rev. D. Linton Doherty, the pastor, assisted by the Rev. Gordon M: Ruff, Moderator of the New Castle Presbytery. The stone stood on a platform during the ceremonies and was placed in the wall at a later date. There is a graveyard beside the church. The oldest tombstone is that of Wm. Carson who died on Aug. 21, 1838.
From 1852 until 1876, there was a situation in Delaware City without parallel in Delaware. In the block bounded by Jefferson, Second, Madison and William Sts., there were the Presbyterian Church, the Methodist Church and the Roman Catholic Church. Each of these churches had its own graveyard and the three properties covered the entire block.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 174.