“All Saint’s P. E. Church at Rehoboth Beach was built in 1893. During the “summer of 1892, Episcopal services were held on the porch of the Hotel Henlopen. On July 11, 1892, Bishop Coleman conducted a morning service, an evening service and Sunday School in the afternoon. On Dec. 29, 1892, Bishop Leighton Coleman, who was confined to a dark room because of illness, dictated a letter in which he directed the Rev. J. Leighton McKim of Milford to take charge of the erection of a new church at “Cape Henlopen City,” now Rehoboth Beach. Mr. McKim personally drew the plans for the church and supervised its construction. He would ride the train from Milford to Lewes, then walk to and from Rehoboth. He estimated that he walked 900 miles while supervising the erection of the church. The site was secured from John W. Causey on Mar. 27, 1893. The corner-stone was laid and the opening service was held on Sun., July 9, 1893, by Bishop Coleman. The date of the consecration is unknown.
During 1911-12, services were held during the entire year for the first time. In 1912-13 a clergy-house was secured for the use of visiting clergymen.
On Jan. 30, 1938, the church was damaged by fire. It was rebuilt and improved, after which it was reopened on Whitsunday, 1938. The consecration services were held on Aug. 21, 1938, by the Rt. Rev. Francis M. Taitt, assisted by the Very Rev. Hiram R. Bennett. Miss Mary Littell presented a communion service in memory of her brother, Dr. John S. Littell, former rector.
On Sun., May 23, 1943, at a very early hour, the church was again seriously damaged by fire. Valuable church hangings and vestments, acquired in Belgium and England, were destroyed. A valuable communion service, donated in memory of Dr. John S. Littell, was saved. Churches and other organizations offered the use of their auditoriums for services and the offer of the Veteran Employees Assn., Del. Division, P. R. R., was accepted. Services were held here during the time required to rebuild the church.
The architect in charge of rebuilding the church was Wm. Heyl Thompson, of Phila., a son of the Rev. Benj. F. Thompson, B. D., of Dover. The interior of the church is practically the same as before the fire, being an adaption of St. Alban’s Church in England. The biggest change in the exterior is the slender spire surmounted by a six foot cross. This replaces the belfry which was burned.
In rebuilding the church a small chapel was added. It was named “‘All Soul’s Chapel.” The chapel and a memorial window in the foyer were erected in memory of Mrs. Edwin Stalfort by her relatives. The altar in the chapel is a memorial to the parishioners of All Saint’s Church who served in the Armed Services during World War II. There is a seating capacity of about twelve persons. The altar is of limestone construction. The floor is of tile which are replicas of ancient floor pieces found in English, French and Spanish cathedrals and monasteries. The stained glass window behind the altar pictures Christ on the Cross and the two side windows depict the six parables of the Lord.
The opening was set for Nov. 2, 1943, at which time the rector celebrated a requiem Mass with special prayers for those honored by the memorial altar. The church and chapel were consecrated on Jan. 16, 1944, by Bishop Arthur R. McKinstry, assisted by the Rev. N. W. Rightmyer, the rector.
A window in memory of Frederick S. Homan, presented by his children, was dedicated on Sun., Oct. 29, 1944, by the rector. A new parish-house was built during 1946. It was used for the first time on Jan. 9, 1947.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 282 /& 284.