Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

header image

photo of markerBy the end of the 18th century this area was home to a large number of African Americans, many of them freed slaves. Their settlement was largely due to the efforts of local Quakers. A congregation of the African Methodist Episcopal Church was established here circa 1863. On June 12, 1866, the congregation purchased land from Henry W. Postles as the site for their church, which they named “Star of the East.” Members of the church are believed to have participated in the activities of the Underground Railroad, and the church’s name is attributed to the symbol of the star as a guide for escaping slaves.

KC-050: Installed in 1993.


Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr
click to learn more about the town

Location:

357 Voshells Mill Star Hill Road, Dover, DE 19901

 


Links to more resources:





+