Augustine Beach
NCC-261: Augustine Beach was named after Augustine Herman (c 1621-1686), an explorer and cartographer who mapped the region for Lord Cecil Calvert. Adam Diehl built the brick Augustine Beach Hotel in about 1814. In 1867, owner Simeon Lord expanded the hotel, adding a dance pavilion, dining room, and barroom. Augustine Beach became a popular destination […]
Washington’s Reconnaissance
NCC-53: Generals Washington, Greene, and Lafayette came to Iron Hill, August 26, 1777, in hope of viewing British Army then landing along the Elk River. Only a few tents could be seen. A heavy storm coming up, they spent the night in a nearby farm house. Installed in 1932. Sponsors: Historic Markers Commission, 1932 Marker […]
DuPont Powder Mills
NC-60: Reinstallation Text 2023: Located at this site on land purchased by French immigrant Eleuthere Irenee du Pont in 1802, the du Pont Powder Mills manufactured black powder at three sites along the Brandywine Creek north of Wilmington. E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company manufactured powder throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries, becoming […]
Encampment of Continental Troops 1777
NCC-007: On December 21, 1777, Delaware and Maryland regiments consisting of 1,500 men under command of General William Smallwood, upon order of General George Washington, encamped in this vicinity to prevent occupation by the British forces and to protect American interests. General Smallwood would remain here several months. Installed in 1932. Reinstalled in 2023 Sponsors: […]
Talbot’s Fort
NCC-A12: Colonel George Talbot, cousin of Lord Baltimore, in defiance of William Penn’s claim to Delaware, erected a fort nearby, 1684, on land of the Widow Ogle. Talbot dispossessed settlers between here and Iron Hill who refused to acknowledge Baltimore as proprietor. Fort garrisoned about two years boundary settled by agreement, 1760; Surveyed by Mason […]
Sign Of The Ship Tavern
NCC-A13: Site of famous tavern of Revolutionary days, known as “The Sign of the Ship.” John Marshall was then Innkeeper. Officers of Continental Army were quartered here. Washington, Lafayette, Aaron Burr and Commodore Perry were among its distinguished guests. Captain Patrick O’Flinn, Officer of American Revolution, was proprietor, 1797 to 1818. Installed in 1932. Sponsors: […]
Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church
NCC-A10: Organized about the year 1769. Early meetings held in Academy Woods, Gilpin’s Wharf, and Thelwell’s School. Church built 1789. Dedicated by Bishop Francis Asbury. Here is buried Allen McLane, Lieutenant in Caesar Rodney’s Regiment 1775; of Dragoons 1777; Leader of charge taking Paulus Hook (Jersey City) 1779; Major in Washington’s Army at Yorktown 1781 […]
Site of the home of George Read
NCC-A8: Born September 18, 1733. Died September 21, 1798. Member of the Congress of the Revolution, the convention that framed the Constitution of the United States, and of the First Senate under it; Judge of Admiralty, President and Chief Justice of Delaware, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. House destroyed by fire, April […]
John Dickinson 1732-1808
NCC-A4: Nearby is grave of John Dickinson, Lawyer, Scholar, and Statesman. Member Colonial Assemblies of Delaware and Pennsylvania and Legislative council of Delaware State. Delegate from Pennsylvania to Stamp Act Congress. Representative in Continental Congress from Pennsylvania and Delaware, and President of both states. Signer for Delaware of Articles of Confederation. Member from Delaware and […]
Old College
NCC-A3: Erected 1833-1834 This building contained a chapel (called the Oratory) class, dormitory, dining, administrative, and student society rooms. Newark College, chartered February 5, 1833, opened its doors for instruction May 8, 1834. Name changed to Delaware College April 4, 1843. Willard Hall, first President of Board of Trustees; Rev. Dr. Eliphalet W. Gilbert, first […]