Attention Researchers: The Welcome Center will be closed on Saturday, July 20th due to air-conditioning issues. More Info
KC-108: Originally Installed in 2008.
First settled in the 18th century, the town of Leipsic quickly became a trading center for local produce and seafood. The area experienced a period of sustained growth, during which the Leipsic Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1831. Increasing political tension over the Civil War led to a division in the membership. The Methodist Protestant Church in Leipsic was formally organized on June 3, 1865. On December 4th, the Trustees purchased the property from Samuel Burton “to erect a house for Religious worship in the town of Leipsic.” Construction was completed in late December and the dedication ceremony was held on January 28, 1866. The parish was named in honor of Dr. Washington Roby, the President of the Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church from 1858-59. Although the original bell tower was destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in 1954, the bell was saved and re-housed in a new steeple. Roby Methodist Protestant Church continues to serve the spiritual needs of the community.