“Downs’ Methodist Church (M.P.), located three and one-half miles west of Kenton, was built in 1843. The land was donated on Dec. 4, 1842, by James M. Downs for whom the chapel was named. The church was rebuilt in 1880. It was destroyed by fire in August, 1925. The present substantial brick church was built in 1927. The corner-stone was laid on the morning of Nov. 13, 1927, by the Rev. E. C. Makosky. The church was dedicated on the afternoon of the same day by the Rev. Samuel Randall assisted by the Rev. J. Peyton Adams.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 205.