“Broad Creek Primitive Baptist Church, known locally for many years as “Benson’s Old Side Church’’ is located six miles n. e. of Laurel. It was organized on May 31, 1781 and was the third church of that denomination in the State. The Rev. John Benson, from whom it got its popular name, was born, in Sussex County, on July 22, 1758. He was ordained on June 14, 1790. He then took charge of this church and of Gravelly Branch Church. The first church building was erected about 1800.0n land purchased from John Benson.
In 1856, the church was remodeled and completed, not having been plastered previous to that time. Two acres of land were secured from John H. Ellis, on May 25, 1889 and on Feb. 20, 1891, another acre was secured from Thomas P. Dukes.
Additional land was donated, on May 30, 1902, by Martha J. Pollitt. Services are held regularly once each month. There is a graveyard beside the church. The Boyce family plot is enclosed with an iron fence.The oldest tombstone is dated 1840. The small plot in which two members of the Short family are buried is enclosed with a brick wall probably built about 1855. The ravages of time have left its marks on the wall.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 343, 344.