page header image

photo of marker


In April, 1779, one of the state’s first Methodist societies was organized near this site by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. On April 29, 1784, one acre of ground was purchased here for the erection of a “preaching house.” The church became known as Williams Chapel, in honor of brothers Arthur and Ezekiel Williams, founding members and prominent local preachers. Services were conducted here until the congregation relocated to a nearby site purchased in 1871. The church building was moved from this location at that time. On December 7, 1896, the Trustees of the church conveyed the property to Charles W. Johnson and Eliza J. Williams, for use as a cemetery.

Installed in 1992.

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr

Resources Related to Selbyville:

Click to view resources about the town

Find a Grave:

find a grave


35141 Johnson Store Road, Selbyville, DE 19975

Links to more resources: