What Is An Accession?
According to The American Archivist, July 1974, an Accession is “(1) The act and procedure involved in a transfer of legal title and the taking of records or papers into the physical custody of an archival agency, records center, or manuscript repository. In records center operations, transfer of legal title may not be involved. (2) The material involved in such a transfer of custody.” The Delaware Public Archives receives new accessions regularly. The following list highlights some of the more interesting items that have arrived recently. To view a sample of the accessioned item(s), select the link where available:
January 2016 Accessions
- Newark City Council Minute Books, 1866-2015, 77 volumes, 12.96 cf.
- Michael N. Castle Campaign Records, 1980-1994, 0.7 cf., and Michael N. Castle Photographs ca. 1986-2000, 0.57 cf.
- Records compiled by Hope Tyler during her time working on the political campaigns of Pierre S. du Pont, IV, and Michael Castle and as part of the Castle administration, ca. 1973-1992, 0.47 cf.
- Transcription of “Dr. James Tilton of Delaware, 1745-1822: A Patriotic Doctor in our two Wars with Great Britain,” by Francis Theodore Tilton.
- Marshall Family Records and Photographs, ca. 1880-1992, 0.2 cf.
April 2016 Accessions
- Sussex County Probate Files, 1971 -1983, 119.7 cf.
- 1975 Death Certificates and Index Cards, 20 books, 1.63 cf.; 1975 Marriage Certificates and Index Cards, 16 books, 1.3 cf.; 1943 Birth Certificates and Index Cards, 26 books, 2.29 cf.
- Loaned for copying: Burton, Stockley, and West family papers, 1697-1911. Includes estate papers, deeds, coroner inquests, accounts, agreements, slave bill of sales, apprentice indentures, and West family Bible records.
- Town of Elsmere Ordinances, 1909-2009, 1.0 cf. Resolutions, 1962-2011, 0.7 cf.
- Dr. James E. Marvil Collection Slides, 1943-1986, 0.3 cf.; Photographs, ca. 1942-1986, 0.19 cf.; Commander George M. Elliott Vietnam War Slides, 1968-1969, 0.08 cf
- Ernest Collection of 21 black and white and 1 color photo prints of Delaware country stores, 1949-1964.
- 336 – 23.5″ x 23.5″ Sussex County Aerial Photographs, 1954.
July 2016 Accessions
- Boyds’ Delaware State Directory, 1859-1860.
- Governor Michael Castle Inauguration Notebooks, 1984-1985, 1989, 0.24 cf.
- Cooke Family Records, including genealogical materials and photographs, ca. 1880-2007, 0.5 cf.
- Old State House restoration photographs, 1975-1976, 0.1 cf.
- Booth Family Papers, 1742-1916, 0.4 cf.
- Fire Prevention Commission Meeting Minutes, 1955-2013, 5.04 cf.
- Millville Town Council Minutes, 1967-2010, 1.8 cf.
- City of Newark Planning Department Annual Reports, 1952-1972, 1977-2011, 0.6 cf.
- Civil War Soldier’s Memorial Lithograph, George F. Wilson, 1897.
- Plat Map of “Northern” New Castle County, ca. 1940, showing property boundaries and owners.
2018 Accessions | 2017 Accessions | 2016 Accessions | 2015 Accessions | 2014 Accessions | 2013 Accessions | 2012 Accessions