What Is An Accession?
According to The American Archvist, July 1974, an Accession is “(1) The act and procedure involved in a transfer of legal title and the taking of records or papers into the physical custody of an archival agency, records center, or manuscript repository. In records center operations, transfer of legal title may not be involved. (2) The material involved in such a transfer of custody.” The Delaware Public Archives receives new accessions regularly. The following list highlights some of the more interesting items that have arrived recently. To view a sample of the accessioned item(s), select the link where available:
- Dover City Directories, 1959, 1976, 2 vols.; Greater Dover and Lower Delaware Directories, 1986-2005, 21 vols.; Wilmington City Directories, 1957, 1975-2006, 29 vols.; Suburban Wilmington Directories, 1954-1983, 1986, 24 vols.; Wilmington-New Castle Directory, 1961; Newark City Directories, 1959-1982, 19 vols.; Milford City Directories, 1961-1979, 7 vols.; Seaford-Laurel-Bridgeville Directories, 1966-1979, 5 vols.; Delmarva Peninsula Directory, 1927.
- 1877 Gray’s New Map of Dover measuring 27.5″ x 17.25″.
- “The Milfordian,” Milford High School yearbooks, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967. 1965.
- “Doverian,” Dover High School yearbooks, 1966 (Showing New Library), 1968, 1977.
- State Board of Agriculture Annual Reports, 1907-8-9-10, 1911-1912,1915-16,1919-20, 1925-26, 1927-28, 1928-29, 1968-691940-1941, 1947-1948, 1948-1949, 1949-1950.
- Land, vital statistical, probate records, and photographs from the Banning, Sammons, Clendaniel, Deputy, Lank and Messick families, 1806-1955.
- Kent County Probate Files, 1948-1955, 13.86 cf.
- 51 glass negatives, aerial views of Buena Vista, A. I. duPont Hospital, Nemours, Wilmington Fibre, Continental Fibre, American Manganese, and more, ca. 1930s-1940s.
- Allan McLane Papers, New York Historical Society Library, 1 roll 35mm microfilm.
- Kent County Recorder of Deeds Plot Books, 1983-1996, Volumes 17 thru 41, 1 DVD.
- 1962 Storm Aerial Photographs, 20 8″ x 10″ black and white transparencies.
- Town of Elsmere Commissioner Minute Books, 1909-1936, 1940-1946, and Ordinance Book, 1909-1926, 0.44 cf.
- Sussex County Probate Records, 1951-1954, 18.9 cf.
- New Castle County Probate Records, 1924-2001, 27.72 cf.
- Family photographs relating to the Walker, Richardson, and Fleming families, ca. 1858-1961, 0.64 cf.
- Delaware City Fire Company, No. 1, Inc.: Our History, ca. 2012.
- Research notes, family histories, deeds, wills, copies of Bible records, genealogical charts, photographs, and other records relating to the Fleming, Manlove, Tilney, Hazzard, Harrington, Tomlinson, Candy, Robinson, Lofland, Davis, Satterfield, Fiddeman, Walker, Stites, Bennett, and other related families.
- Dover USO Club Journal, 1943.
- Patriotic Sons of America, Magnolia Chapter, Minute Book, 1908-1911.
- Reverend Lewis Wheeler Wells Journals, 1896-1900, 1903-1904, 3 volumes.
- Images of America: Along the Kirkwood Highway, 2014.
- Sussex County Probate Records, 1955, 5.04 cf.
- Hidden History of Lewes, 2014.
- Photographs, primarily of movie theaters owned by the Schwartz family, including theater promotions and construction, 1942-1967, 0.19 cf.
- “Education in Sussex County” oral history audio cassettes (50) and typed transcript, 1976. Conducted by the Sussex County Bicentennial Committee.
- 19 official portraits of Department of Public Instruction Superintendents, Deputy Superintendents, Secretaries of the Department of Education, and Deputy Secretaries, 1875-2012. A 1979 portrait of Dr Kenneth Madden
- Annual Thanksgiving Day Football Game Program, 1937, Dover High School vs. Caesar Rodney.
- Dear Abby – Vietnam War Scrapbook, 1967-1968, 1972, 1980, 1991. Relates to donor’s letter to Dear Abby requesting letters to soldiers and the overwhelming response.
- Elsmere City Council Minutes and Hearing Proceedings, 1951-2003.
- Will of George Howard, 1789. Conveyance Bond of David Miller to Scarborough Tunnell, 1794. Thomas Aydelott Warrant of Resurvey, 1832 copy of 1776 Warrant. Col. William Stevens Patent, 1792 copy of 1687 Patent. Deed, Sarah Gyles to David Wood, 1721.
- Marriage Certificate of Reuben W. Warren and Rachel G. Deakyne with photos, 1889; Gootee and Collins Family Bible Records (photocopies), 1840-1937, 5 pages; Deakyne Family Bible Records (photocopies), 1819-1894, 7 pages; Gootee Farm Daybook, 1867-1904; Gootee Real Estate Sales Ledger, 1914-1934; 3 photo albums, ca. 1860-1900.
- Three 8″ x 10″ color negatives of the “Map and Profile of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal,” ca. 1829. A sample of the Map and Profile of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal ca 1829
2018 Accessions | 2017 Accessions | 2016 Accessions | 2015 Accessions | 2014 Accessions | 2013 Accessions | 2012 Accessions