What Is An Accession?
According to The American Archvist, July 1974, an Accession is “(1) The act and procedure involved in a transfer of legal title and the taking of records or papers into the physical custody of an archival agency, records center, or manuscript repository. In records center operations, transfer of legal title may not be involved. (2) The material involved in such a transfer of custody.” The Delaware Public Archives receives new accessions regularly. The following list highlights some of the more interesting items that have arrived recently. To view a sample of the accessioned item(s), select the link where available:
- Wilmington School Board Scrapbook, 1872-1888, 1917-1919. Howard School 1880 Sample Image
- Bill of Sale for John Greer to sell slave to Thomas Jacobs, 1839.
- Warrant by Thomas Penn to Jacob Kollock to survey marsh on Lewes Creek, 1736.
- Political broadside against gubernatorial candidate William Tharp, 1844.
- Tombstones of Sussex County Delaware, Volume Three, 2011.
- Webster’s New International Dictionary of the English Language, Second Edition, 1935.
- School Board Minutes and Agendas, 1981-2012. Christiana School District Minutes, 1950-1956; New Castle County Board of Education Minutes, 1978-1981; District III Interim Board Minutes, 1981.
- “The Price of Progress . . . The Promise of Protection: The St. Jones River,” 2012, 1 DVD.
- “Liberty! The American Revolution,” 1997, 1 DVD.
- “A Plan for the Reorganization and Desegregation of Designated School Districts in New Castle County, Delaware,” 1975. PTA Notes Sample
- Speeches of John M. Clayton in the Senate, 1848, 1854, 1854, 1856.
- Original artwork of the state seal and coat of arms; reference information on the state seal; identification cards with coat of arms.
- John Hancock Circular to the Delaware Assembly or Council of Safety, December 31, 1776.
- Photographs of Governor Markell’s and Lt. Governor Denn’s 2009 official and ceremonial inaugurations. 136 digital images on 1 cd. Inauguration Sample Photo #2
- 1940 Birth Certificates and Index Cards, 19 volumes, 1.96 cf. ; 1972 Marriage Certificates and Index Cards, 18 volumes, 2.59 cf. ; 1972 Death Certificates and Index Cards, 21 volumes, 2.73 cf.
- Civil War Delaware: The First State Divided by Michael Morgan, 2012. A majority of the illustrations came from the collections of the Delaware Public Archives
- “White Gold: Delaware’s Oystering History,” by Michael Oates, 2012. 1 DVD. A video documentary that used many photographs and maps from the Delaware Public Archives.
- 6516 post cards of Delaware and Eastern Shore Maryland and Virginia, 1900-2002 (The link will take you directly to our postcard gallery).
- Digital copies of three photographs of the donor’s father, Joachim (John) Herre, POW at Dover Army Airfield during World War II.
- City of Wilmington Deeds, 1739-1917, 1.55 cf.
- Governor Richard C. McMullen Scrapbooks, 1896-1970, 9 volumes, 2.34 cf.
- Hopkins map of New Castle County, 1881.
- Bible Records (loaned for copying): Aldridge Family Bible, 1836-1913, 6 pages; Cavender Family Bible, 1763-1795, 1 page; Cavender Family Bible, 1784-1925, 8 pages.
- City of Wilmington Deeds, 1739-1917, 1.55 cf.
- Petitions requesting the repeal of the same sex marriage ban, 2010-2013, 1.51 cf.
- “Where is Larry Potts?” poster, 28.5″ x 22.5″. Potts was a Delaware POW-MIA from the Vietnam War.
- 43 digital images of photographs and documents relating to the military careers of Lewis H. Kirk, Jr. and his uncle, John Wesley Davis, ca. 1918-1967. Kirk, ODaniel, Anderson and Steele
- 176 color slides, 1962-1974. Major subjects include Dover public buildings, Fort Delaware, Sussex County Courthouse, Octagonal School, Old Drawyers Church, 1962 storm damage in Rehoboth, 1968 Rehoboth oil spill, and Woodland Ferry.
- Loaned for copying: marriage certificate for August and Anna (Sophie) Anderson, 1906; Fort Christina Monument Guest Book, 1941-1948. Correspondence from Carl Johnson, Chairman, Vasa Order of America Convention and Tercentenary Committee to August Anderson, 1937, framed and matted. Newspaper clipping of Carl Johnson, August Anderson, and Vasa Order gift to the Swedish Crown Prince and Princess, 1938, and photo of August Anderson, watchman at the Fort Christina Monument, 1941, framed and matted.
- 11 post cards of Delaware post offices: Wilmington (4), Dover, Seaford, Millsboro, Rehoboth Beach, Harrington, Lewes, Georgetown.
- 8″ x 10″ mounted photo of steamship Thomas Clyde; 14″ x 24″ digital print of steamship Major Reybold, ca. late 1880s.
- Dover High School Class Day Exercises programs and fans, 1912 and 1915.
- 9 surveys of the hotel property in Kitts Hummock, 1939, 1950 (2), 1956, 1959, 1978 (2), 1984, 1986. Hotel advertising card with photo on back, 1881.
- ca. 1870s-1890s scrapbook of advertising cards, illustrations, and personal cards. Believed to have been compiled by Sallie Beers.
- Town of Middletown: Maps, Plots, and Plans, 1937-1997, 8.88 cf.
- Ingram, J. S. The Centennial Exposition. Philadelphia: Hubbard Brothers, 1876. Includes illustration and section for Delaware.
- 56 – 4″ x 5″ black and white photo prints of the March 1962 storm damage in Rehoboth Beach.
- 7 typed transcripts of oral histories conducted by George Vapaa with farmers, county agents, teachers and Jack Smyth, editor of the State News, 1974-1975.
2018 Accessions | 2017 Accessions | 2016 Accessions | 2015 Accessions | 2014 Accessions | 2013 Accessions | 2012 Accessions