Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Historic Location"

Cape Henlopen Lighthouse Replica

SC-281: The Cape Henlopen Lighthouse stood on the Great Dune near Lewes from 1765 through 1926. The lighthouse was a widely-recognized landmark in the region and in 1924, a realtor built a replica of it as his Rehoboth Beach office. The Village Improvement Association (VIA) purchased the replica in 1928 and moved it from the […]



Former Site of Delcastle Prison Farm

NC-209: Farmland along McKennans Church Road, formerly owned by the Wells and Gregg families, was acquired by the New Castle County Workhouse at Greenbank circa 1915-16 and named Delcastle Farms. Located approximately two miles from the main prison building, the farm was established with the hope that through agricultural education, inmates could better their chances […]



Site of General Weedon’s Foray at Spring Grove

NCC-264: On September 8, 1777, General George Washington and his Continentals were pursuing British forces headed north along Limestone Road to seize Philadelphia following the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge. General George Weedon advanced his Continental brigade to a hillside east of Mill Creek at what is now known as Spring Grove. British forces advanced to […]



Augustine Beach

NCC-261: Augustine Beach was named after Augustine Herman (c 1621-1686), an explorer and cartographer who mapped the region for Lord Cecil Calvert. Adam Diehl built the brick Augustine Beach Hotel in about 1814. In 1867, owner Simeon Lord expanded the hotel, adding a dance pavilion, dining room, and barroom. Augustine Beach became a popular destination […]



DuPont Powder Mills

NC-60: Reinstallation Text 2023: Located at this site on land purchased by French immigrant Eleuthere Irenee du Pont in 1802, the du Pont Powder Mills manufactured black powder at three sites along the Brandywine Creek north of Wilmington. E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company manufactured powder throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries, becoming […]



Bethany Beach Loop Canal

SC-158: Completed July 8, 1910, the Loop Canal marked the end of a long journey for vacationers traveling to Bethany Beach in the town’s early days. Arriving in Rehoboth by railroad, travelers would continue their voyage by boat, crossing Rehoboth and Indian River Bays to the U. S. Government (Assawoman) Canal. For a time, the […]



Talbot’s Fort

NCC-A12: Colonel George Talbot, cousin of Lord Baltimore, in defiance of William Penn’s claim to Delaware, erected a fort nearby, 1684, on land of the Widow Ogle. Talbot dispossessed settlers between here and Iron Hill who refused to acknowledge Baltimore as proprietor. Fort garrisoned about two years boundary settled by agreement, 1760; Surveyed by Mason […]



Sign Of The Ship Tavern

NCC-A13: Site of famous tavern of Revolutionary days, known as “The Sign of the Ship.” John Marshall was then Innkeeper. Officers of Continental Army were quartered here. Washington, Lafayette, Aaron Burr and Commodore Perry were among its distinguished guests. Captain Patrick O’Flinn, Officer of American Revolution, was proprietor, 1797 to 1818. Installed in 1932. Sponsors: […]



Site of the home of George Read

NCC-A8: Born September 18, 1733. Died September 21, 1798. Member of the Congress of the Revolution, the convention that framed the Constitution of the United States, and of the First Senate under it; Judge of Admiralty, President and Chief Justice of Delaware, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. House destroyed by fire, April […]



Milton Museum

SC-217: On October 22, 1857, land at this location was conveyed to members of the Methodist Protestant Church. Construction of a house of worship was completed soon thereafter. The congregation consisted largely of persons who were employed in the community’s booming maritime and commercial economy. An expansion and rebuilding project was completed in 1906, with […]