page logo

Photo of Church

“Calvary Methodist Church (M. P.) at Milford. In 1910, a group of Methodist Protestants erected a canvas tent on s. e. Front St., in Milford and started to hold meetings. The first sermon was preached on Sept. 25, 1910 to a group of eight persons. Interest grew and in a short time thirty persons had been converted. The congregation was organized on Thurs., Oct. 6, 1910. A frame tabernacle was built and furnished in one week at a cost of $800.00. The opening service was held on Oct. 30, 1910 and the revival was continued. A Sun-day School was organized on Nov. 13, 1910, with Wm. H. Richardson as Superintendent. During that month church officers were elected and the Rev. L. A. Bennett of Harrington became the pastor on Dec. 1, 1910. The church was incorporated on Jan. 16, 1911.

The Tabernacle was used until May 12, 1912. A building committee was appointed on Mar. 11, 1911 and work was started on a large church built of cement blocks. The sand used in making the blocks was hauled from Cedar Beach and the blocks were made on location. The site was purchased from the Nutter Davis estate.

The church was completed and was dedicated on May 19, 1912. The Rev. L. A. Bennett, the pastor, was in charge of the services. The Rev. D. L. Greenfield preached in the morning with the Dover Glee Club furnishing the music. At 2 P. M., the Sunday School met at the old tabernacle and marched to the new building. Here, the exercises were conducted by the Rev. Messrs. Holmes, Mowbray, Bunstein, Carroll, Andrews, Savage and Johnson. The Dover Glee Club and the Avenue M. E. Church choir furnished the music. The evening sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. J. S. Bower. Music was furnished by the local Presbyterian choir. The church bell was a gift of Mrs. Geo. Wilson’s Sunday School class.

The parsonage was purchased on Dec. 28, 1918, from Emma C. Sipple. Land adjacent to the church was purchased on Mar. 6, 1931, from Mary L. Marshall.

The name “Calvary” was adopted in 1939. During that year the church had been redecorated.” (1)

See more photos

Resources Related to Milford:

Learn more about this town

Text Source:

1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 261.

Learn more about the churches of Delaware